Excessive oil consumption

Learner

Dear forum users

has anyone got similar information to share about the oil consumption of their M5's?

I am collecting data to look into this, for personal interest and need some actual figures.

I have, 1 litre for every 500 miles, for my car. But I need more input.

My car is, 120k miles, 2000 reg.

I've been doing a little reading, and it seems BM adressed this issue, at some stage during 2000, after which the oil consumption is siginifcantly reduced.

More like 1 litre every 5000 miles. Thats a lot better. Any info available on this, I've not found too much on the web besides what I've just typed.

Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

I have, 1 litre for every 500 miles, for my car. But I need more input.

My car is, 120k miles, 2000 reg.

I've got 150k miles (243000 km) on the clock and mine is a September '99 M5. The car uses about 1 liter per 1000 miles, but that's exceptionally little for the pre-facelift M5's.

I've heard anything around 500-700 miles per liter is acceptable and not unusual.

The reason for the oil consumption is the design of the piston rings. They have a bit play, so that they can cope with the heat that the engine archieves during driving. Like any other racing engine.

I've been doing a little reading, and it seems BM adressed this issue, at some stage during 2000, after which the oil consumption is siginifcantly reduced.

More like 1 litre every 5000 miles. Thats a lot better. Any info available on this, I've not found too much on the web besides what I've just typed.

Not really. I know a few people with post-facelift M5's and the oil consumption isn't that much better than pre-facelift M5's. The difference is, that they can use long-lasting oils (standard 5W30 i believe), while our pre-facelift (splits around September/October 2000) models require 10 TWS 30 motorsport oil, which is more expensive. BMW changed the piston rings in those engines.

The oil discussion has been ever ongoing on for example m5board and other places and if you want to keep your engine in good nick for a very long time, I can only recommend to stick with what BMW specified for your engine.

That's all, really.

/M

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links