2014 116i stalls at idle; particularly bad in cold weather

Finsey

On occasion, particularly during cold weather, my car will start but then will often stall after a few seconds of idling. It can take multiple attempts to turn the car on. Of course it's not ideal practice to drive a car straight away after turning it on, but if I drove the car straight away after turning it on then it will likely stall immediately when driving. Otherwise, the car runs fine and I often make long distance journeys.

I have tried running a good quality double dose fuel injector/all-purpose cleaner twice through the engine and giving it an 'Italian tune up' of revving it up to 4000/5000 rpm for 50 miles or so. This has helped, but not fixed things.

During warm weather I will not have these problems as much and the car [usually] starts.

I suspect that the problem would be a clogged fuel filter that needs replacing, but wish to confirm my suspicions with advice from others on the forum.

Would it be best to get a brand new filter put in first, or ask the garage to perform diagnostics first?

Appreciate the help.

Hi Finn

Welcome to the Forum

When was the car last serviced (not just an Oil Change) but a full service. Have you had a diagnostic run to make sure the MAF is OK fuel pressures are as they should be (will give indications as to the Fuel Filters condition) Plugs Points Coil Packs etc

Dave 

Hi @Greydog

Appreciate the help... car hasn't had a full service recently and is definitely due one. Have not gave it a diagnostic run to make sure MAF is OK. I've checked plugs and coils fairly recently which are OK.

Do you suggest a diagnostic run first or get the full service done first?

Cheers

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links