Car Wont start ?

Hi, I recently purchased a Z3 which had been stationary for 6 months! I managed to jump start it initially,  but having charged it up overnight it now won't start ? All the lights etc work ? It's giving out around 9-10v on a Multimeter.  Any advice greatly appreciated 

Morning Craig

A few things First when you charge or Jump a BMW make sure it is at the charge points under the bonnet or remove the battery from the car if you don't you can cause damage.

Your battery is dead I am afraid 9-10v after charging a healthy battery should show 12.5 to 12.8v around 14v + with engine running.

It is that time of year mine died yesterday morning 🤔

Dave

• Like 1

Top advice Dave , all working now ! 

Right next problem! Substantial Water Leak from under the car now , like I said it's been idle for 6 months? Any ideas , is Hose changing , Water Pump or Radiator remedials a novice project I could carry out ?

Hi mate. I would assume as it’s a massive water leak the pump is working. 
make sure you keep topping the water up in the radiator and keep an eye on engine temp! 
Im guessing a split water pipe is the more logical option but fill the coolant system and keep the engine running to spot the leak. 
hoses and clips are easy to replace. 
is the water coming from the engine bay? Any damp in the boot area? 

also, check the thermostat housing hasn’t failed. It was an issue on the 3 series e36’s 

Morning Craig

Check the rear lamp seals and the rubber boot seal then make sure all the floor drains are clear they are meant to be letting water out not keeping it in 😅

As Stu says check all the hoses including the heater feed and control valve. not difficult when you have fixed the leak make sure to fill with the correct coolant/anti-freeze. Check the internet for advice on bleeding the whole system to get rid of airlocks

Dave

Check all the roof drains are clear and seals intact. If it is soft top make sure the window seals are all good. Check the drains on the bottom of the doors are clear and the membrane behind the door cards is intact and undamaged.

Can't think of anything else

Dave

Thanks Dave, I had a pre MOT today and considering it hasn't been used for over a year it's not too bad in general. The last owner lowered it on Adjustable Shocks and some red Springs !! , that will need doing ! 

I'm taking the Seats and Carpet out at the weekend as it needs to dry ,perhaps I will spot the leaks from the inside then ? At least Head Gasket fear I had doesn't seem to have occurred. I do need to monitor the Water temperature as it boiled up once , so i'm thinking Thermostat or Water Pump? Heater still not getting Hot ?

Let the fun begin!!

If it has overheated then check the fans are working correctly ( 2 if I recall) 1 either side of the Rad 

You also have a water control valve in the engine bay (solenoid operated) make sure it's working bleeding the heater matrix will be fun if it's not. I would just change the thermostat anyway as a precaution.

If your removing seats and carpets in the past I have puffed talc around windows and door seals then used a hose outside any water tracks show up in the talc really well.

So we know what your doing this weekend 😅

Dave

Thanks Dave, I had a pre MOT today and considering it hasn't been used for over a year it's not too bad in general. The last owner lowered it on Adjustable Shocks and some red Springs !! , that will need doing ! 

I'm taking the Seats and Carpet out at the weekend as it needs to dry ,perhaps I will spot the leaks from the inside then ? At least Head Gasket fear I had doesn't seem to have occurred. I do need to monitor the Water temperature as it boiled up once , so i'm thinking Thermostat or Water Pump? Heater still not getting Hot ?

Let the fun begin!!

Hi mate. Not sure about the carpet removal, but I assume the seat rails and subframe will need to come out. 
bleeding the heaters is a fun job but it needs to be done correctly to get rid of airlocks etc

loads of guides on YouTube and I assume it’s the same as an e36 3 series. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I have x2 small seals missing where the Soft top meets the Top of the Door pillar. I can see water getting in through here then running through into the boot ? Apparently they are made of Plastic? Any ideas on sourcing ?

Screenshot_20231202_165508_eBay~2.jpg

Morning 

Getting there now, check www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin number into the search box it will call up your model then check the roof and trim sections for what you need, don't forget any clips and fasteners

The small exploded drawings should help identify how things go together. As for sources once you have the Part Numbers BMW Dealers then the internet just google the Part numbers 

Good Hunting

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links