Old dog, new tricks?

Mr-Mirage

Hi, I’ve just become the owner of a 2021 X1 1.5 petrol manual sDrive F48. I’m also the owner for the last few years of a 850 Ci. I would class myself as an engineering enthusiast, bearing in mind that the years are catching me up. 

Morning Richard

Welcome to the Forum

We love enthusiastic engineers  and as the years catch up ( the big 80 is close) you just need to add a couple of new tools to the kit, a couple of younger bendier sons and a really helpful 13 year old Granddaughter who's hands fit where mine no longer seem to 🤣🤣

Nice collection of BMW's ENJOY

Dave

• Haha 1

Thanks Greydog. Yes, the years pass so quickly, except when things go wrong! The 8’s been stood for a couple of years. It’s time for it to go. I could blame Covid and age. The truth is I need the car on a lift to do anything these days, if I get under with the ramps I feel queasy. No fun! I do have access to a lift but it is in use a lot.

I’ve bought the X1 1.5 petrol for reliability, economy and especially the ease of getting in and out! I intend to maintain and service it myself. Didn’t go for any of the EV options as the big issue isn’t range anxiety but how the hell do you recycle all those individual cells when they’re at the end of their life? I don’t think EV’s are the long term answer! - Soap box now back under the bench 😀

With you on the EV front when Tesla themselves quote 40% recycling 

If you are into home maintenance it will help to get a copy of ISTA/INPA  it will have everything you need for Diagnostic's Workshop information Technical information and you can use it on both your Beemers 

Dave

Okay Greydog, yes I have ISTA/INPA and the older Carsoft. Thankfully I’ve never had to use them in vain👍

For anything more modern I use a Foxwell NT650 which along with a level of incompetence that leads me to all sorts of misdiagnosis 🥸 it’s all a part of the fun👍

My concern about the cells from EV’s is the shear numbers that will have to be “dealt with” in the near future. Perhaps it’ll happen in the UK since we’ve either given away or closed most of our own manufacturing 🤔

EV's at the moment are I believe where Mobile phones/Laptops where in the early/mid 90's bulkier and heavier then with little life away from a socket to plug into. 🤣

I guess they will get there, or they will need some serious investment in Hydrogen cell technology lets hope the investment is here and not sold off

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links