2016 118i F20 Noisy Window Seals

Mr Jay

Hello 

First time posting. Is anyone aware of noisy window seals? I have a 5 door 118i m sport and I get a creaking noise coming from the centre pillar on both driver and passenger side whenever going up and down my drive. At high speed it is not noticeable, it seems to be whenever going up and down at an angle as the car shifts it creaks. It’s driving me absolutely insane. I’ve narrowed it down to the outter window seals because if I wash the car the creaking stops for a couple of days and then comes back when the seals must of dried out. I’ve tried gummy pledge which as sort of worked but not completely, but can’t pinpoint the exact place. Is it hard to take off the window seals to clean them up properly? Do I need to dismantle the door or window to do this?

Any help is much appreciated thanks!

Hi Gearjammer, I did try that but the noise seems to be coming from behind the middle cover, attach photo off Google. So I think the rubber behind this is dried out which is why I was wondering how easy is it to remove the seals. Can I just pull them out and push them back in? 
Next option would to prise the top of this cover and spray silicone from the top in the hopes it runs down. Thanks IMG_5258.webp.8ab2e78ee1bfbdcba0ffe1f7f0bd4717.webp

I am with Mark here I use silicon spray at least once a year. I drop the window down and spray the window runners then spray onto a cloth to clean rubbers and seals to avoid overspray on paintwork. I also use it on suspension rubber parts whether it extends their life ? who knows but it keeps them looking clean and tidy must help at MOT time.

Good Luck 

Dave

3 hours ago, Mr Jay said:

Hi Gearjammer, I did try that but the noise seems to be coming from behind the middle cover, attach photo off Google. So I think the rubber behind this is dried out which is why I was wondering how easy is it to remove the seals. Can I just pull them out and push them back in? 
Next option would to prise the top of this cover and spray silicone from the top in the hopes it runs down. Thanks IMG_5258.webp.8ab2e78ee1bfbdcba0ffe1f7f0bd4717.webp

I wouldn’t like to say yes, it’s not something I’ve done before. Honestly don’t be scared to be liberal with the silly spray, it makes a mess but usually yields results. My E63 drivers window made a helluva racket and finally shut up once I’d emptied Amazons stock of WD-40.

Good luck 👍🏼

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links