HELP. BMW 2005 318i ES 4 DOOR Saloon

Steve 2712

Hi ,

Thanks for looking at this question. MY son has the above car, it was first registered 08/10/2005.

I have been told the Lambda sensors are bad, but i am having trouble finding out exactly what i need to order. I am going round in circles trying to find out if the car is E46 or E90.

I think there are 2 sensors needed one pre cat and one after cat ?  when i look this up there are so many different options.? iam totally lost with it.

Could anyone tell me the following.

1, is the car E46 or E90?

2, what are the sensors thai need to orderand what are the numbers that confirm this ?

3, is the tool used to change then a 22mm Lambda sensor socket ?

Any info would really help me,

Thanks steve 

Morning Steve Morning Stu

Welcome to the Forum Steve

Go to www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of the cars Vin into the search box it will bring up the exact model so then you will know for sure E46 or E90

I believe the engine is the same in both models N46 but due to emissions changes the Lambda sensors are different a look at the exhaust system may give some clues if you know what your looking for. If not stick with realoem then order using the part number that way you will get the correct ones for your car 

Good Luck 

Dave

Hi. Thanks a lot for that information.  Really appreciated.  I know exactly what car it is now and have ordered Lambda sensors and tools to change.  

Another issue I have is when turning on roundabouts the car looses power and sort of misfires.  I have looked it up and it’s states Abs sensor fault.   I got the garage to plug it in for me but no Abs sensor fault is showing ? 

How do I find out what sensor is at fault ? 

Iam struggling with this car.  I want. My son to keep it as the engine is good and it’s just passed an MOT.  BUT LOADS OF LITTLE COMPLEX ISSUES KEEP CROPPING UP 🤦. Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

steve

Hi Steve 

If it looses power when turning right (unless you live where they have those multi go where you want insane roundabouts) I would look in the engine bay, the loom to the Coil Packs also the Loom to the injectors Also check the engine mounts and earth straps. My guess would be something is chaffed or loose and causing the misfire when turning. Try rocking the engine to the left when stationary, try to replicate it. Not heard of an ABS fault causing a misfire yet 😂 Also check the vacuum lines and all air hoses for cracks and leaks

Good Luck

Dave

Is it only at roundabouts? Is it from a standing start? What are the revs doing? 
my x5 had a weird hesitation at roundabouts and when coming to a stop the revs would drop a bit, therefore when setting off while rolling, the car was jumping and sluggish setting off. … weirdly it turned out to be a dodgy battery. Have you tested the battery yet? 
the alternator would power the car while running so no issues, but as the engine slowed down, not enough power down  to the battery and the alternator would smuggle with the load. 
I replaced both after the alternator failed, no issues since

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links