Z4 30i G29 Turbo rattle

Diego

I own a 2021 Z4 30i which I love. The only issue and I had it since owning the car is when the car is put it’s paces especially on cold start the car has a significant rattle coming from the turbo waste gate area

BMW technicians have agreed the noise is there and changed the turbo and a small arm located on the turbo with no success.

they are now claiming the noise is within tolerance which I disagree. Is there anybody out their with a twin turbo 2.0 beginning making tha same noise?

would love to hear from fellow Z4 drives and there opinions are what I could do  

Morning Simon

Welcome to the Forum

That definitely doesn't sound right to me Turbo's are manufactured to such high tolerances that any vibration or noises are a no no. I have owned many Turbo charged cars and none have had rattling turbos.

If the turbo is sound it must be a heat shield or something else in that area, or possibly a manifold or exhaust leak could sound like a rattle.

My interpretation of "it's within tolerance" would be "we don't have a clue" I would ask them to show me another one with the same noise.

I hope you get some positive feed back have you talked to BMW UK ?

Good Luck

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been fighting this issue for 18months. I have BMW CS plus Technical involved also BMW Sytner Chigwell who have assessed the car. BMW original confirmed and acknowledged it was a know issue. I waited for 16 months for the mod to arrive. I’ve attached a picture of the part they changed. Basically putting a new washer and dampener on it, yet it still verb-rates and rattles but they now say it’s the characteristics of the car.

I will speak to another dealership and get a test drive of another 30i

i love the car it’s just a nightmare when as you said BMW haven’t got a clue to resolve the issue

thanks

IMG_4817.jpeg

Hmnnn if it is that link that rattles I would be tempted to fit a fibre washer to reduce any slack. A fibre washer would deal with the heat and if it's replaced at each service it's cheap 

If it works copywrite it and charge BMW for the rights to use it 🤣

Dave

Hi David

That idea is something worth doing once BMW wipe their hands of the issue. I’ve pushed for your idea around driving another 30i which they have agreed to do but it’s proving hard to get in front of another 30i

BiG SHOUT OUT

is there anybody in the Essex area that owns a Z4 30i that would be prepared to meet up and compare engine noise? It would help me out massively.  

Thanks for all your advise so far

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links