Engine ticking noise

Juniior

Hi wondered if anyone could help me please im confused so is my mechanic recently i ended up with a ticking noise coming from my engine after bump starting my car due to a corroded earth strap underneath, mechanic told me was dual mass flywheel so bought a brand new one with clutch had them both fitted. Engine was still the same . Then was told it was timing chain mechanic then stripped the engine no faults with timing chain either but the ticking still exists , now scratching my head as cant think of what it could be as mechanic doesnt know either. Does anyone know if could be a faulty oil pump? Intake manifold ? Or even something to do with the gear box if could let me know be greatful many thanks 

Morning Junior

Welcome to the Forum

Without us being able to hear the noise or the area of the engine it is coming from your asking an impossible question. 

Here are a few thoughts, first are you absolutely sure the ticking started after the bump start or was that when it was first noticed? 

1. Gearbox When the clutch is depressed the gearbox is not rotating so does that stop the ticking?

2. You say Engine earth strap was corroded there are more than one make sure that they are all good 

3. With an engine with high mileage or poorly maintained engine it could be lifter tick or a sticking lifter.

4. Again at higher mileages it could be Injector tick 

5. Has the Vanos system been checked 

6. Are all belts and tensioners in good order 

7. Exhaust manifold and fixings in good order no cracks or leaks

Looks like that should take care of your weekend 😅  do you have a mechanics stethoscope if not buy one.

Dave 

26 minutes ago, Greydog said:

Morning Junior

Welcome to the Forum

Without us being able to hear the noise or the area of the engine it is coming from your asking an impossible question. 

Here are a few thoughts, first are you absolutely sure the ticking started after the bump start or was that when it was first noticed? 

1. Gearbox When the clutch is depressed the gearbox is not rotating so does that stop the ticking?

2. You say Engine earth strap was corroded there are more than one make sure that they are all good 

3. With an engine with high mileage or poorly maintained engine it could be lifter tick or a sticking lifter.

4. Again at higher mileages it could be Injector tick 

5. Has the Vanos system been checked 

6. Are all belts and tensioners in good order 

7. Exhaust manifold and fixings in good order no cracks or leaks

Looks like that should take care of your weekend 😅  do you have a mechanics stethoscope if not buy one.

Dave 

Firstly would Just like to say thank you very much for the reply and information and, yes basically my car wouldnt start for a while in which turned out to be the corroded earth strap underneath ( which is now sorted)  so i left it as everytime i put ignition on would go straight back off so i decided to give it a bump start and it started straight away but with consequnces the ticking started ive had my timing chains looked at by mechanic who stated they were fine with no play etc leaving us really confused , upon inspection the ticking seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine but cant put a finger on it as the dmf and clutch has been replaced with new and timing chain gas been eliminated with inspection later on today i can post a clip of the sound if that may help the sound is always there wether clutch is depressed or not its just really annoying lol as car was perfect until i bump started it 

Hi Junior

A sound clip would help us a lot 

A search using a mechanics stethoscope should narrow it down, you say passenger side is your car LHD or is the steering on the correct RHD side 😁

Check the exhaust carefully I have seen a cracked exhaust manifold that made a ticking sound that to was after a bump start 

Good Luck

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links