space saver

Glyno

hi everybody first post as a new member i have a 21 plate X5 3D on 21 inch wheels i find the handling in the wet leaves a lot to be desired i was thinking of taking the runflat tyres off and putting normal tyres on does any member know who could supply a space saver wheel for the car Thanks Gyno

Morning Glyn

Not sure what tyres you are on (Bridgestone or Michelin) so I am surprised you find wet handling a bit off. Or was it the recent rain on greasy roads making busy roundabouts into skid pans.

How worn are your OEM set? runflats are known for showing weird behaviour when near end of life.

Your current tyres are probably 285x35x21 Front 325x30x21 Rear, so changing to non-runflat won't be cheap plus I am not sure if there is a space saver spare available. My E53 4.6is with 20" wheels has a small compressor and a can of sealant due to tyre sizes. My E70 has the same set up and no spare just the compressor, both cars are in daily use and in 160+k on the 4.6is and many sets of tyres I have suffered 1 slow puncture (nail in the tyre) and 1 incident of tyre damage (pot hole) The E70 is just over 100k and touch wood no issues at all. So punctures with modern tyres seem rare.

So I would get the small compressor and sealant BMW sell them if you want to stay OEM or Halfords if you want to save some of your hard earned. Plus word of warning if a space saver was used it only takes around 2mm difference in rolling radius across an axel or front to rear to kill a transfer box or diff which I believe is why BMW stopped supplying them (along with all the money they saved, Wheel Tyre Jack Wheel brace)

Dave

On 8/28/2022 at 7:34 AM, Greydog said:

Morning Glyn

Not sure what tyres you are on (Bridgestone or Michelin) so I am surprised you find wet handling a bit off. Or was it the recent rain on greasy roads making busy roundabouts into skid pans.

How worn are your OEM set? runflats are known for showing weird behaviour when near end of life.

Your current tyres are probably 285x35x21 Front 325x30x21 Rear, so changing to non-runflat won't be cheap plus I am not sure if there is a space saver spare available. My E53 4.6is with 20" wheels has a small compressor and a can of sealant due to tyre sizes. My E70 has the same set up and no spare just the compressor, both cars are in daily use and in 160+k on the 4.6is and many sets of tyres I have suffered 1 slow puncture (nail in the tyre) and 1 incident of tyre damage (pot hole) The E70 is just over 100k and touch wood no issues at all. So punctures with modern tyres seem rare.

So I would get the small compressor and sealant BMW sell them if you want to stay OEM or Halfords if you want to save some of your hard earned. Plus word of warning if a space saver was used it only takes around 2mm difference in rolling radius across an axel or front to rear to kill a transfer box or diff which I believe is why BMW stopped supplying them (along with all the money they saved, Wheel Tyre Jack Wheel brace)

Dave

thanks for the advice the car is on Pirelli tyres and its only done it once i think ill wait and see how it goes and hopefully it was a one off Thanks Glyn 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links