Please help

Emnite

2008 x3 
It started with yellow brake light and the 4x4 DTC indicator lights, the service engine light joined the party today. The car is throwing 16 codes everything from water pump to transfer case sensor. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hi Teresa

I have tried to help with your earlier post

So first question What Diagnostic system are you using to scan the car? If it isnt BMW specific you may struggle a BMW specic system will tell you what and where in English not just a code.

Next question. When you scan can you identify all the control modules (this may be a failing/failed FCM/LCM)

Back to my original answer what condition is the battery in?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I sent your reply over to my mechanic. I don’t know what diagnostic system he uses. I’ve had pretty good luck using generic system at auto parts store, finding out which plug and coil failed. I really appreciate the help, thank you

Morning Teresa

A BMW specific Scan tool such as INPA/ISTA or BMW 1.4.0 will allow you to see and investigate all control modules individually. Because of the configuration often faults in one will throw faults with others as they share information.

A recent scan on my own X5 using BMW 1.4.0 showed a DME fault Mass Air Flow. Solution New one fitted a Fault with the Auxiliary Water Pump. Pump tested fine earth issue found and fixed. PDC fault rear center right sensor (As I have a reverse camera not yet fixed)

All descriptions are as shown on the fault screen so no guess work or code interpretation.

Dave

Update: it was the crankshaft sensor, it’s been replaced. I’m going to need valvetronic eccentric shaft sensor and guide, those parts are unavailable at the moment. It will also need water pump and thermostat, it’s not running hot. It’s running good, right now. Thank you all for your help. 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links