Bowers & Wilkins Stereo Specifications Wanted - Can it Play High Resolution Music?

I just purchased a 2022 BMW X6 M50i car optioned with the Bowers and Wilkins (B&W) stereo. There is no information or documentation regarding the B&W car stereo available from BMW. Contacting B&W directly and requesting information about their stereo in BMWs was also a dead end.

Does anyone know where I can get the stereo specifications? I included the B&W stereo option expecting to be able to play high resolution (hi-res) Music files, such as 24-bit FLAC files. Does the B&W stereo support these hi-res file formats (though it's DAC)? I actually play the files on my iPhone through an app that is capable of playing the files. Then Apple CarPlay is used to connect to the app. 

Hi Shivaji

Welcome to the Forum

First came across this in a 7 series (I saw a review somewhere), I was under the impression that it was a speaker system not the complete sound system so if the cars iDrive/Radio is capable of plying Hi Res Audio files the speakers give the best chance of reproducing the sound. Always worth remembering it is a car not a Cinema or Club 😁

Really tasty motor Luck Boy ENJOY 

Dave

Greydog - I think you are partially correct... B&W is known for their speakers. However, the short BMW YouTube videos I have come across promoting the B&W sound SYSTEM in a BMW, implies that B&W is providing the complete audio system including speakers and amplifier and the DAC. Apparently B&W works along with BMW to analyse the best placement for their speakers specifically for each BMW model the system is offered in.

Morning Shivaji

You could try BMW Vin Decoder which should give the build sheet for your car, I just had a quick look at realoem and if you have S6F1A on the build sheet you do have the B&W High end system

However it looks as though someone could order an HK system with B&W speakers most confusing unfortunately it still doesn't give any system information? Can BMW Customer services not provide something?

Dave

Greydog - thanks again for attempting to assist me. Yes, I do have the B&W High-end system. My understanding of this system is that it includes stereo components that B&W supplies (in addition to the speakers). This system should not have any HK components. 

I tried a number of BMW support services at the dealer (including the BMW concierge/genius) as well as contacting BMW Australia. But no one at BMW were aware of any details regarding the B&W system. So BMW suggested I get information from B&W and B&W sent me to get information from BMW -- a "catch 22" type of scenario. 

Any ideas how to get to the bottom of this and find the B&W stereo specs?

Hi as I understand it if your car has the  S6F1A in the build sheet you have the DAB, tuner and B&W Amp and speakers 

I have a neighbour who does work for BMW he is in the States currently I have asked him how you can get the information 

I will update when he gets back to me

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems the B&W system is a Speaker system and Amp designed for each BMW Model the ability of the system to play digital files will be helped/restricted by the OEM Headunit and CD/DVD Player

Happy New Year

Dave