Hi - quick intro

Dakta

Just an introduction of the quick type, now own a old but rather solid 2007 x3 3.0D (thought we'd enjoy the displacement whilst it lasts before we're forced into using milk floats and golf buggies). Love it but have a few minor issues so have signed up to browse and seek a few tips.

It's quite powerful and practical, nearly went Tiguan but had a 323i from like 2000 and it lasted forever, unfortunately bodywork let it down and there was practically just the engine, transmission wheels and drivers seat left when we finally let her go, hope this goes the same way.

regards!

Morning Kristian

Welcome to the Forum

The 3.0d straight 6 is one of the worlds great engines so as long as it has been well serviced (I would add interim oil changes) plus if the History doesn't show it it would be worth changing iff and transfer box oils and service the Gearbox.

The X3 being AWD and like all AWD is sensitive to Tyre's and to avoid damage to the transfer case and or diffs stick to the recommended sizes. As you have the 3.0d I would think the tyres are staggered (wider rear) something like 235x45x19 front and 255x40x19 rear? When changing tyres try to change all 4 together and all the same make to keep the front/rear rolling radius the same 

If you are a DIY mechanic invest in a good Diagnostic code reader preferably BMW capable it will save you ££££ in the long run.

Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy

Dave

Thanks for that!

Noted on the tyres 😄 - the engine is fab (bit of a diesel tuner here so intend to have a bit of a play with it). I needed something practical but wanted something quite robust, nearly went for the 2.0 but had the feeling I'd probably end up giving it a hard life given the vehicle size compared to the engine, so I think 3.0 it had to be!

The transmission is the bit that concerns me, I've tried to do a bit of homework - is there any way to identify the exact box I have as I've read some are sealed?

Diagnostics will be interesting, i've noticed I can only get basic measurement values with my existing tooling (which is normally quite good, though I can at least read codes) I might have a look in the longer term to see if there's anytihng we can do about that (i've a bit of hobbyist experience with writing diag software - the problem is with security access though a lot of modern ecu's surprisingly give a lot of info freely)

Additionally got a few electrical gremlins so i'll be lurking... 🙂

Hi

The 3.0d you have should be 218 bhp with an decent ECU tune you should see 250 bhp and with a few more tweaks 300 bhp is in reach and the motor stays reliable, but it's the increase in torque that is most noticeable especially in the midrange.

Your Gearbox will be ZF GA6HP26Z BMW like a few other manufacturers started the "sealed for life" myth what they mean is sealed for their 3 year Warranty period 🤣 ZF themselves recommend Fluid and Filer changes at 80 to 100k/km so about 60k miles. BMW got a bit Red Faced and never ones to miss a profit sell the fluid now. The boxes are pretty tough the transfer boxes can be damaged quite quickly by wrong sized tyres causing Transmission wind up. So when you stop if you hear a clicking sound or if you reverse slowly on full lock and get a jerking that's wind up so check the tyres. If the transfer box is damaged it is a DIY fix and fairly straight forward.

The best would be get a copy of ISTA/INPA and put it on a laptop (I have an old Win8 laptop in the Garage with BMW 1.4.0, INPA/ISTA, Mercedes Star and Volvo diagnostics on it plus a couple of others to help out the Kids and Neighbours. Once you get it up and running you will have Dealer level access I have seen complete laptops ISTA mounted on Ebay for £150 which is less than a Dealer would charge for a Diagnostic session. There are also others like Foxwell and iCarsoft 

Check your battery often the cause of Gremlins BMW are power hungry beasts if voltage drops it will start throwing warnings. Also BMW like common earth points make sure they are clean so a session with contact cleaner may help.

Dave

• Like 1

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links