Driver's seat starts running (Not sure what part, it does not move) every time I open the driver's door. Getting in or out.

K-Clive

Hi ALL,

2010 535xi wagon having a problem with the driver's seat power stuff.

Every time I open the driver's door, the seat has a motor which runs, if I touch any control on the seat, the motor stops.

There is no motion, so I am not sure what it is trying to do?

I have had no start issues and now leaving a trickle charger on it to keep the battery up.

I pulled fuse #14 and stopped the seat from reacting to the door opening.

I tried to fiddle with the memory #1 #2 to see if it is trying to set a seat position?

I have two very different settings for both #1 and #2 and it moves to those positions correctly by request and stops.

Fun fun fun BMW!

Thanks in advance

Clive

Morning Clive

You do know BMW stands for Breaks My Wallet 🤣

If you can hear it running but no movement it could be the pump for the side bolsters or lumber adjustment. I would sit in quick while it is running you should feel any movement in them. If so it could be the switch stuck or failing

Dave

Thanks Dave,

After playing with the controls for a bit, I'm going to go with stuck control.

They seem a bit tacky like something was spilled in there (not me) but I did manage to get no response out of a few motions to begin with...

I'm going to get the panel out and see if the things can be cleaned rather than replaced (Chime in if you have been here, done this?)

I have the car starting and the power seat is not functional so it looks like I can rely on it being a runner again.

I will let you know how we do shortly!

Cheers

Clive

Morning Clive

Sorry didn't pick up the Non Start issue have you traced it? Is the car going to sleep (shutting down completely) ? 

The seat issue there are 3 motors in the seat base and depending on the seat type two or three in the backrest. When I had an issue with the seat control it was quicker and cheaper to just change it out for a replacement from a BMW recycler. 

Make sure you check the seat loom in case there is a short somewhere. Remember www.realoem.com should help with where stuff fits 

Dave

OK I have some new info...

The non-start issue was simply the battery going dead after about three days of silly seat running.

I pulled fuse #14 and the seat does nothing, no motion and no heat, battery stays charged and we are running OK

The offending control is the backrest width adjustment. I put fuse#14 in &

I can move the backrest width controls and there is no response from the seat, the motor runs, both ways, it is wide, no narrow motion.

If I leave the fuse #14 in place, every time I open the door, the motor runs.

As if it is not engaged to anything anymore and seeking a setting? A screw jack that has run off the end of the screw? Sensor gone bad?

Are the width adjustments mechanical or air bag tech?

I will try running the widest setting on the control and see if the motor will stop running, match up the requested wide setting with the reality wide setting.

I'm not too worried about the loss of seat motion but, it's getting cold here in Toronto and I like my seat heater! Heat seater!

Cheers

Clive

OK I tried to run the wide backrest seat button a bunch to see if it can recognize a wide setting... it cannot. The silly seat persists...

it is not moving, not recognizing the current position and runs on, times out and runs on again until the battery goes flat.

I have the fuse out now and it is reliably starting etc.

I will look at removing the seat next to see inside WTF? Probably something simple?

Morning Clive

On my seats the bolsters inflate but then my old bus is 7 years older 😂

Check the internet see if there is anything there that others have suffered and found a fix for? Pelican Parts have some good "how too's" maybe some help there

If not it looks like your going to become our seat expert in a short while 🤣

Dave

I looked around for seat stuff... 5series.net

One thread was a dead motor... replaced motor fixed it - PITA removale install, seat out on the floor.

Same thread another guy was complaining of the same symptom I have, motor running, no movement/adjustment but, the fix was not discovered or helped along.

I'm looking in other places now, have not come up with anything yet!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links