116i or 118D

Jack_1996

Looking to go from my Honda CRV I-vtec to either a 116i or a 118D I have been reading up that they are almost the same but as I have never owned one thought it would be good to get feedback from both sides it’s the 116i 136bhp one I have heard they can be remapped quite well just wondering what’s available for roughly 6k mark

thanks in advance

Hi Jack 

Welcome to the Forum

The diesel may give a few more MPG but there would be little to choose in performance so really it is down to the car with the spec and accessories that you want.

Good luck with the hunt

Dave 

2 minutes ago, Greydog said:

Hi Jack 

Welcome to the Forum

The diesel may give a few more MPG but there would be little to choose in performance so really it is down to the car with the spec and accessories that you want.

Good luck with the hunt

Dave 

Nice one cheers mate yeah I was looking around and it’s so hard to pick one but a buddy of mine said he got his 116i stage 1 pushing like 205bhp sounded weird so thought I’d ask haha cheers for the reply buddy

Morning Jack 

If your going the tuning route it makes your choice a little more complicated, do you look at a car that is already modified (thrashed no one does that to drive like Miss Daisy's Chauffeur) Or do you buy an un-modified car and carry out the work your self? A simple ECU tune can get both petrol and diesel around 200bhp but the diesel will be way out front with torque 400+ Nm easily achieved. Plus torque is what gets you down the road particularly mid range and still be economical. (says the old boy in a Tuned V8 🤣)

If I were spending my money I would take the second option and know all mods were done right and to my taste/spec. Don't forget brakes and suspension going faster means often needing to stop quicker to and going where you point it is a big plus.

Good hunting

Dave

On 10/27/2021 at 6:45 AM, Greydog said:

Morning Jack 

If your going the tuning route it makes your choice a little more complicated, do you look at a car that is already modified (thrashed no one does that to drive like Miss Daisy's Chauffeur) Or do you buy an un-modified car and carry out the work your self? A simple ECU tune can get both petrol and diesel around 200bhp but the diesel will be way out front with torque 400+ Nm easily achieved. Plus torque is what gets you down the road particularly mid range and still be economical. (says the old boy in a Tuned V8 🤣)

If I were spending my money I would take the second option and know all mods were done right and to my taste/spec. Don't forget brakes and suspension going faster means often needing to stop quicker to and going where you point it is a big plus.

Good hunting

Dave

Yeah it is such a hard choice with the petrol and diesel as petrol I can straight pipe without the worry about DPF haha the car will be standard and all mods done by my local tuning garage want the car how I want it definitely have to find a place test drive the both see what feels better cheers anyway buddy again

My Brother Inlaw runs a 535d Touring (his 4th) all have been ECU tuned. The current car was around 300bhp when new, now 400bhp and 500+Nm A 530I Tuned would be 300/350bhp Torque would be around 350/400 Nm while top speed may be the same mid range acceleration would be down.

Mid range 30mph up it is a super car killer, Brakes are M5 the rest of the car is as he ordered it new it still returns 40 odd MPG when traffic keeps his foot off the gas. All his his cars have run to high miles with only a couple of EGR issues on the early cars no DPF issues at all. He has it serviced by BMW to maintain history but we change oil and filters every 5k (this I believe helps DPF life) he also runs fuel additives once a month. 

So while I am a petrol driving old bloke who has never owned a diesel in his life my children do and I as an engineer can see the benefits 

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links