Ews3 key programming

Morning John

Welcome to the Forum

Not sure what you are try to achieve here your key should have a transponder built in to the blade this communicates with the immobilizer allowing or preventing starting of the car. The key fob communicates with the EWS to activate or de-activate the central locking/alarm system.

The Fob coding/re-coding process is as follows.

Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to position 1 and back rapidly 5 times. Hold the unlock button and press the BMW logo 3 times, then release the unlock button. If you have additional keys you'd like to program at this time, repeat step 3 within 30 seconds from the original key programming.

The transponder will need Dealer Level equipment I believe there are several instances of people accessing the EWS through the diagnostic port and trying to "re-program" that can be disastrous ending up with needing new EWS drivers door lock and ignition barrel, unless of course you are a programmer with clever kit.

I hope this helps

Dave

Hi Dave, Im looking on the bright side, i am a mechanic not in trade for a while and having had success with aftermarket coders in the past for various key codings i thought id have a go at my e46 3 series. I bought an ak90 key reader coder off ebay as it had excellent reviews on youtube, all went well until i tried in the ignition but no joy, and after several attempts the original key is now inop. So was hoping for a good recommend of some wiz kid out there if there is someone?

Hi John

I have read about a couple of Key Coding systems the AK90 being one of them but I have no experience of this kit and sorry I am not aware of anyone (that doesn't mean they are not there) maybe an Auto Locksmith?

I think part of the problem is BMW separate the transponder/immobilizer from the Alarm/Central locking. So alter the program on one and you have an effect on the other. Were you having issues before or are you trying to add functions?

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links