X3 map update by USB

Sandy5252

Just thought I would relate the problems I had trying to update my 2016 satnav map n my new/2nd hand x3, to the latest 2020 from BMW. 

I found I got get a free map update on the BMW site, great I will have that. SO downloaded the data a LARGE folder, and got the activation key. I found I needed a bigger usb at least 32gb. SO ig ordered and received the new USB, copied the data over and plugged it in- no response from the car system. I hadnt put all the necessary files into the root directory of the USB. Tried again - no response. Checked the usb and read the forums and discovered that BMW use either NTFS or FAT 32 formatting. I had used NTFS formatting and it hadn't worked. 

Start again- download the zip data again, ( not really necessary but wanted to avoid any other errors), unzipped on my SSD which speeds this up a LOT.  Tried to format my new USB using FAT 32 and found my computer wont do that as it is using W10 latest version and FAT 32 is OLD tech.

SO had to down load a program that would do the FAT32 formatting on the USB- done. Copied the satnav files to the root of the SUB ( no folders), stick it in the usb port - success!!!!, it asked for the activation code- I keyed it in VERY CAREFULLY, double checked it and hit OK.  Nothing- no response, waited a few minutes nothing. WTF!

SO I cooled down, dammed BMW for wasting an afternoon, for having crap software in thier expensive cars.

Next day I started the car to do something else and I got a message up saying map update was on hold and to put the USB back in to complete the process. SO went and got the USB and plugged it in and the map update continued and completed and I have the latest maps Yeha!!!

So be warned it should be a straightforward process to update the maps- (on my previous car a Honda- you just put the new disc, at a reasonable price, in and it was done- no hassle at all) but BMW have made it a bit of a nightmare, and the process badly needs updating with much better instructions and information, or make it automated, like Honda. Sooner I just use my phone for satnav and auto updates and forget about BMW media system the better.  A new BMW with apple maps maybe at 40k plus- not this year!

PS Tried it on my wifes' older BMW but gave up - different system, different problems, poor instructions and advice, and have currently given up. Another afternoon wasted!

Hi John

I have a 2012 3 series which uses the same USB format for updates. I don't qualify for the free updates from BMW so since having the car (bought last year and still had original maps 😞 )

I have used http://www.satnavupgrades.co.uk/ . The guy there, Rusty is very knowledgeable and usually responds very quickly, even at the weekend. Try him for you wife's car, I'd be surprised if he can't help.

OK, he's not free like the BMW supplied one you have for your car but his price is reasonable. I only paid £30 for the last one as he has a special offer running at the moment.

I do agree that the one you and I have is very time consuming and very sensitive to the slightest deviation from the rules. e.g. when formatting the USB, you have to do a full format rather than a quick format. I've done 3 so far and it does get easier with practise. 🙂

Hope this helps.

John

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links