Can you swap SE Ecu for m sport one

NooBeem

Hi again 

just had a little thought, if I have a 2005 320d SE can I swap the ECU for an MSport one and expect to gain the mapping from the msport, upping the power? 
Thanks in advance! 
Steve

Morning Steve

Check www.realoem.com and www.newtis.info I am pretty certain the answer to your question is NO. From experience with my X5 you will have to change more than just the ECU to get everything working the immobilizer keys and door locks and ignition barrel for a start. This is one of the things I had to buy from Quarry Motors as a set.

Msport is more a trim level and suspension to sharpen handling as far as I am aware

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave bud.

I thought immobiliser would have to be recoded so the key matches the Ecu, are each door lock coded too? 
And the msport 3 series comes up as 190bhp but using the same parts so i was assuming that the difference was down to mapping? 
just trying to be a tight ##### really so this was a thought more than a plan haha 😀👍

Hi Steve

I had the ECU die from corrosion on the connecting pins it couldn't be repaired the answer was to change the ECU for a recycled one from another X5 4.6is the immobilizer stopped me short no amount of tinkering would get it going in the end I brought the immobilizer, key, drivers door lock and ignition barrel from the donor car put it all in and it fired first time. Hence my words of caution.

I thought the 320d came in 2 flavours, 150 bhp and 177bhp but not being a Diesel man I am on thin ice here.

Nothing wrong in being wary of putting your hand to deep into the wee dusty sporan, keep turning the pages I am sure you will find what you want. If you aren't aware in realoem if you click on the part number it will bring up a list of alternate parts and models they were used on.

Dave

• Like 1

I’m wondering if it could be done with an immob recode, as that would eliminate needing to swap barrels with the key as it would just rewrite the immob code between key and new Ecu-which I can get done for about 40-50 quid usually. 
Next question would be if the map would be different and if it would run on the same engine but in the SE and not the Sport... 

Ill go check part numbers and see if they are the same unit but different variants!

That sporan joke had me chuckling btw bud 😀👍

Cheers again,

Steve 

Remember that many of the DME units were used across the range not just within models. So worth checking 1 series, 3 series 5 series, if you can get the immobilizer working brilliant and worth a shot.

However would it not save some pain to just get your ECU remapped? 

Dave

• Like 1

Yeah, this is true Dave so unless I can get the Ecu dirt cheap and it was literally plug and play then I’d go straight for the remap. 
just toying with ideas as I’m going along atm buddy, I’ll see what I can dig up about the difference between the Ecu‘s, thanks again 

Steve

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links