Is my oil sensor faulty?

BradC

I may have a slight issue with my BMW. The other day I had an oil change done on the car, whilst driving home I looked to see what the oil level was to check it was correct, and since the car has no dipstick I can only rely on the electronic display, but after checking its not even coming up half way, even though I'm 100% sure the correct amount of oil has been added. This could be a major issue for me as the car burns oil, it now asks for a litre every 800 miles so I need this sorting asap, and even though it burns oil I still perform oil changes to make sure its always got clean oil. I know the oil checker moves in about 3 stages but isn't even up to the halfway marker, I even added a bit extra just incase but has made no difference, any ideas, is it faulty and if so is it a big job to replace, any ideas are appreciated.

Morning Brad

Get someone with the correct diagnostic program INPA or similar to check, they should be able to the sensor operation and calibration

Take care as overfilling can cause almost as many issues as low oil. Have a look at www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin number in the search box then look for the oil sensor there are exploded drawings which will help, also check www.newtis.info for how to change information.

If it is like the oil level sensor in the X5 you have to drain the oils as it sits in the bottom of the sump. All this because someone in BMW thought they would save £10 on a dip stick mad just mad.

Dave

I added in a small amount of oil in just incase it was under the line to register as full, after doing so I checked the display and it was the same, but once I got to my destination its registers as almost full, so not sure if its just temperamental, but will keep an eye on it, thanks for the above info, it will be useful if I have any further issues. I agree its stupid that there is no dipstick, the older models had the dipstick as well as the computer display so I don't know why they couldn't keep both, and there are other small things that they have removed but shouldn't have, like the temperature gauge and spare wheel etc. 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links