Deal or no deal?

Zman111

I’m looking at a 2011 x5 xdrive35i with 126,000 miles. It have a good service history but I am concerned about an oil leak that causes smoke to come into cabin. When heat is on. Seems like it’s the valve cover but can’t be sure. Any advise? Car is in really good shape and it $5000 usd. 

Morning Angel

Welcome to the Forum

I would put pressure on the seller to fix the issue or get a good chunk of money off. The BMW 6 cylinder engine is normally as tough as old boots and with good servicing capable of inter galactic mileages. Tyres are important oddly worn or mismatched tyres can/will cause transfer box damage, BMW use a ^ rating system on the tyre sidewall (as do Merc and several other 4x4 manufacturers) to ensure front and rear rolling radius is within acceptable tolerances.  In the UK on the 6 cylinder diesels BMW used a pressed steel exhaust manifold which was prone to cracking letting exhaust fumes into the cabin a cast manifold was the answer. Crazy but the cast manifold is readily available and cheaper than the pressed one??

Have a look at www.pelicanparts.com it is a US site with excellent "how too's" with pictures, you can also use www.newtis.info if you are a DIY man it is the same Technical information that BMW Dealers use also look at www.realoem.com a BMW online parts list put the last 7 digits of your Vin in the search box it will bring up your model. 

Hope the deal comes together for you

Dave

Dave, 

Thanks for the warm welcome, the “fix” for the leaking oil and burnt oil smell into the cabin seems to be the same common problem with the x5’s leaking valve cover. Really hard to track it down because as the oil leaks it flows downward and almost looks like a leaking oil pan.  But because of the smoke I am leaning on it being valve cover? As for the price I think it’s a super low price at this point with a retail value around 10,000usd and 7,000usd for trade In, so the price of 5,000 is almost to good to pass up. 
thanks for your help.

angel

Check out other models with the 35i engine for fix's and information. Look at the EGR system I remember reading somewhere that a collapsed hose can cause leaks that look as though it comes from the bell housing.

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links