Different manufacturers on front from rear?

scotthldr

Hi all,

New member here so please excuse if posting this in the wrong place.

I’m very close to buying my first BMW but one thing is playing on my mind, the tyres.

The car in question is a 18/68 420d M Sport Xdrive. The car seemingly had the optional 20” alloys fitted at the factory (although I can only find mention of the std 18” or upgrade to 19”) however it is 20” rims that are on it. Fronts are 225/40/20 Rears are 255/30/20 which makes sense, but I’ve noticed it’s Pirelli’s on front and Dunlop’s on the rear. Now I’m assuming that the car never left the factory with that combo and the cars mileage is 12600, so in my experience wouldn’t be due new tyres so soon and if it did then why mix manufacturers when BMW and tyre manufacturers recommend that all four corners be the same make, tread etc, especially on a 4 wheel drive.  I’ve also just learnt that 3 wheels have been curbed(in one year, really) , do I smell something iffy here or just over thinking the worst?

Scott

On 8/25/2019 at 2:20 AM, scotthldr said:

Hi all,

New member here so please excuse if posting this in the wrong place.

I’m very close to buying my first BMW but one thing is playing on my mind, the tyres.

The car in question is a 18/68 420d M Sport Xdrive. The car seemingly had the optional 20” alloys fitted at the factory (although I can only find mention of the std 18” or upgrade to 19”) however it is 20” rims that are on it. Fronts are 225/40/20 Rears are 255/30/20 which makes sense, but I’ve noticed it’s Pirelli’s on front and Dunlop’s on the rear. Now I’m assuming that the car never left the factory with that combo and the cars mileage is 12600, so in my experience wouldn’t be due new tyres so soon and if it did then why mix manufacturers when BMW and tyre manufacturers recommend that all four corners be the same make, tread etc, especially on a 4 wheel drive.  I’ve also just learnt that 3 wheels have been curbed(in one year, really) , do I smell something iffy here or just over thinking the worst?

Scott

Scott, it certainly wouldn't have left the factory on different make tyres. Those curbed wheels won't be cheap to repair either. 

You will be spending a lot of money here, if you don't think it's right walk away. Where are you thinking of buying it from it doesn't like a franchise car. 

There are lots for sale so take your time. 

Act in haste repent in leisure. 

Upt'North. 

Wise words from Upt'North also consider this, you say the car is Xdrive that makes a huge difference with tyre choice. All 4x4 cars SUV's Pickups have an issue with different rolling radius tyres across axles and particularly front to rear. If the tyres are different makes at that low mileage something is wrong. First different rolling radius will kill the transfer box on the back of the gearbox (Not Cheap) BMW recommend "star" rated tyres so that front and rear are within tolerance particularly with a staggered set up as this car has. 

Maybe the last owner changed the wheels for a second hand set? Are they BMW stamped genuine wheels? My neighbour has a 430d x Drive with 20" wheels but his are not staggered.

Again as Upt asks if this is a BMW franchised dealer they should know better? If you decide to go ahead I would be asking for a set of matching approved star rated tyres or at least a reduction to cover the cost (£1100 ish) and make certain it has a solid warranty just in case there are transmission issues down the road.

As Upt advised plenty out there so don't rush

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links