520d 08 M Sport flickering when braking and few other bits

aiwnjoo

Hi guys, so I bought a BMW and loving it so far despite what is to come in this post :)  so there is a few teething issues.

1: When i am idle or breaking from accelerating to idle there is a vibration through the dash.  The mechanic has located this and he said something about a plate near the catalytic converter causing it so the cat may need replacing but for now has done some welding magic and the noise as heavily reduced but couldn't do more due to some issues that could happen with over doing it.

I will probably just rest with this until I have a few hundred quid spare for a new one :O

2: When i brake the front beam (Normal night driving headlight) flickers, the mechanic said when hooked up to the computer it showed a warning with the lighting module and also a cell has gone on the battery.

Q: He has advised I replace the battery as the warning code for the lighting module could just be due to the power issue from the battery.  Would you agree with this as I don't really want to keep paying for stuff only to "see if its an issue", I expect my car to come back perfect from a garage no matter what, not just trial and error...

They have checked all the earthing and that reports back fine.

So there we have it, few minor problems I just want to see if you have any advice.

The car is in again this weekend having not charged me for the "inspection" so far.  Its in for the blanking plate sorting.

Thanks

Morning Andrew

And Welcome to the Forum

Sounds as though the heat shield around the Cat is loose and he has tacked it in place.

Flickering lights is a sign of something loose(earth or power feed) I would check and clean all light connections (take care if you have HID)

Your Mechanic is quite right if your battery is on it's way out that alone will trigger spurious codes.

When you say "blanking plate" is that the EGR? or Swirl flaps? 

Good Luck and Enjoy

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links