Happy new year everyone, can anyone help please?

Army John

Hi all,

I have an 18yr old (2001) 320i 2.2lt E46 (you can probably tell from my initial description that I’m not a petrol head) I love this car because of what it is, the comfort, the drive and the general experience of it all. Also because it was bought for a birthday present by my wife. There were a few niggleing problems which I have managed to fix, except one “AND ITS DRIVING ME NUTS” so here goes:

The drivers door window doesn’t work correctly;

I press the switch down completely and the window opens fully👍

I half press down and the window goes down until I release the switch, it then stops where I release 👍

HOWEVER

I pull up the switch half way and nothing happens 👎

I pull up the switch completely and the window comes up but stops wherever I realise (acting as if I have half pulled up) so I have to completely pull up and hold to close the window 👎

I have changed the switch and had no success, I have changed the motor with no success and checked YouTube and tried resetting the windows with various methods , all of which have failed 👎

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP/ADVISE ME ON WHAT I COULD DO BEFORE I HAVE TO GIVE A BLANK CHECK TO AN AUTO ELECTRICIAN ????

Happy New Year to you and your family John and Welcome to the Forum

Sounds as though you have tried and changed the bits that normally give issues. With the X5 I had a similar issue with the drivers window it would auto down but not up? I had to hold the button. my issue was with the Drivers seat memory control unit first I noticed that the window control was playing up then the steering wheel adjustment had stopped working.After a lot of research everything pointed to a failing drivers seat control unit sure enough it failed completely I wouldn't have noticed but my wife went to take the car pushed the memory button and no movement. I managed to find a replacement unit with the correct part number on that well known auction site, fitted it and reset the master switch for the window and all back to normal.

If you have seat memory on your E46 I would check it is functioning also have a look at www.newtis.info it is a BMW technical information site same as used by dealers it will give how too's and diagrams plus wiring diagrams then www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin in the search box and it will bring up your car search the parts you want and it will give the part numbers.

I hope this helps

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links