Changing Headlight bulbs on 2009 X5 E70

Oneeasygeezer

Is there an easy way of changing the dipped headlight bulbs on my X5 as opposed to the recommended method in the handbook. I can remove the cover but there's no way I can see to release the retaining clips it's too far in there must surely be an easier way.

With the X5 E53 it isn't a horrendous job, un-clip the trim under the headlamp undo 4 screws (use a magnetic socket) and slide the headlamp forwards. The first time I thought what a faff but it saves the skin on your hands and is a five minute job.

The recommended method is to remove the cover cap, detach the electrical connector, pinch the retaining spring to release the bulb, withdraw it and reverse the procedure, basically the same method used for years. The problem comes in that the dipped headlights are effectively mounted in the wings there are cross-members running across the back of the headlight housing. I can manage to get the cover cap off and see the connector but I can't see any further in and can't easily reach the retaining spring, unless I lay across the wings, but I can't see what I'm doing or reach in sufficiently to change the bulbs, I finally gave up and took it to a local garage, how ridiculous is that taking it to a garage to change the bulb because of stupid design.

• 7 months later...

Hi Paul, also a 2009 E70 owner and had similar probs. Perhaps this pic may help which I managed to take with my phone. It takes a little studying to sort out the various bits but you can see the clip to remove the bulb, mine was a little stiff but got success eventually. Hope this helps.

047.jpg

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links