E39 Or E46

Hi guys and gals.

I'm now in the position of choosing one of the above, at the moment I have an e39 which being a 1999 model is getting bit long in the tooth as they say. It's been a great car and never really let me down. I reckon I can spend up to 3500 in my next Beemer and in you guys expert opinion which you think the way to go? I know it's quite a broad question with spec and fuel type to consider but thought I'll just ask and see wher opinions favour. Thank you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Only been in 1 E39 so cant really speak. Owned 2 E46`s 330i Auto & 330d Manual . 3.5K will buy either. Many say you may as well own the 330i as fuel consumption difference is marginal between 320i(2.2) 325i & the 330.  The Diesels well obviously you will drop 5-10mpg between 330 & 320d.

For me a BMW .....Has to be 6 cylinder. Ive driven 4 pots & yeah they are great in there own right but......when buying my Diesel i drove a 320 (150hp) first. Did a few miles in it but to be honest although quicker it didnt feel that bigger difference to my A4  Audi 90hp.   My Audi was worth £1500 & the Beemer didnt feel worth the £10,000 difference!  So back at the dealership we tried the 330. It took 300 yds to decide this was the one to buy & 7years+ & 200,000 miles later i dont regret it. She`s been & still is a great car.

In my opinion i would go for....330d Manual/ harman Kardon music/ heated leather/ obviously as much history (not just stamps i mean receipts) as you can.

I know this "opinion" is rather late but hope it helps Steve. 

Hey mick cheers for the advice. I'm actually still on the hunt for car!  

Ive been to see a good few beemers and couple of audis and I must agree that the 3.0l cars seem to be the way to go. 

Pertol prices are better as well at last!  Got 4K now as well lol. Fingers crossed January will be a good month. 

To be honest I don't mind if I find either or,petrol or the diesel. I'm gony defo concentrate on service history and as mick said check out as much receipts as possible. Only ever had a four door and was  wondering if you guys know of any pros and cons of the coupes?

just me and the wife as well!!! Lol 

I must agree with you Paul on the looks. Side by side I think I would always pick the coupe in e46 guise, think they look great. Newer models I'm not so sure! Been to see couple of 07 plate coupes and frying my brain wether to put down deposit on one or hold out for a nice e46. Suppose there are worse things to be worrying about!!! 

Yep they are amazing. My boy racer neighbour got one, 03 plate convertible putting out 350 bhp , he spent a fortune on it and offered it to me for 8k!!! Don't think I could spend that on an 03 plate. Will keep the search going though even thinking of dabbling down the x5 route! Anyone know any good ones😁

Not bad compared to what they cost new though :yes:

Also, prices for M3s will never go as low as a "normal" model. Old E30s are getting very rare and expensive, and E36 M3s have just about bottomed out on price now I reckon.

If you're looking at the X5 they do a nice but rare petrol V8 version. Bit different to the usual diesels! 

Yep totally agree Paul. I had a run in my neighbours and the acceleration was just immense. Seemless power throughout   

But my thinking on the x5 is just purely practical due the crazy weather and as hailing from Bonnie Scotland I just know the white stuff on its way!!!! My street has a slight and I mean slight incline and the e39 slides about like crazy when there is a slight sniff of snow!!! And yeah been reading some comments on the x5 owners forum and the v8,s seem to be the dogs !Removed!. 

Hi all. Just see update on my hunt for new beemer. May have a good chance of getting a 525d touring with great spec, leather and the like. Good tyres all round and excellent body condition. 125k with full service history and plenty of receipts. Had a test drive and it was like wow! Pulls like a train and from third with boot down it just goes. Oh and it's on a 55 plate, looking at £3500. 

Any advice, thoughts etc extremely welcome. 

It's a friends car that he trading in and just doesn't want to give it away to a garage that will have it on their forecourt for a grand more the next day!!! So hopefully if he goes for the one he wants he,ll sell it to me at trade value. I'll know by Saturday so fingers crossed. 

Well I went to the bank on sat morning  and lifted £3500 and waited on call. Mid afternoon the call came and excitement rose only to be told he changed his mind!!!! Aaaaaargh

back to square one I'm afraid. 

Cheers for the positivity paul. Was bit disappointed about it falling thruogh. Think the worse thing was taking the car a test drive and loving it!!! 

Not seen any of that condition anywhere as well😩 and price!!!

But I'll keep the faith and hopefully something will pop up, my trusty e39 is still driving sweet and motd till July so got plenty of time to pick and choose. 👍

Yeah that's right take your time and the right car will come up.

Don't be afraid to travel either for the right car. A mate of mine wanted a 330ci clubsport in Estoril blue and ended up flying up to Glasgow and driving one back to Dorset, just so he got the right car. He's well pleased with it though and it's absolutely mint. Much better than anything he could find nearby. Nice day out too! :yes:

Yep I'm now thinking good things comes to he who waits! And yeah my search is all over uk, I'm watching about 15 cars on eBay and another 15 odd on pistonheads and most of them down south( I'm just outside Glasgow) so will be prepared to go a jaunt if required. Also word of mouth can be quite handy at times as well, had an engineer in my work today and he selling a z4 msport with 40k on the clock, extended bmw warranty as well. Downside is he wants 10 grand!! Had a laugh about it though. Guy in th gym last night selling a jag xf late 2012 plate! Offered to buy the alloys!!!!😂😂😂

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links