Running Problem After A 3 Yr Lay Up

Maderia

Hi everybody

I thought about getting my 1994 2.0 coupe running after a 3 yr lay up today.

I figured I would need to drain the oil first and give her an oil change which I did.

Fine so far,problem is once I hard charged the battery and re-filled her with water the camshaft was really noisy and for a while there was a slight big end knock when applying throttle.it is like the oil is not getting round all the oils ways but the pressure light goes out no problem.

I changed the oil filter as well when adding the new oil,5 litres, now I know it should take 6 litres put do no think that should cause the horrible noise from the top end.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Guest jeffthro

No, whilst refilling with 5 litres not 6 litres is not ideal, that alone will not be the cause of your problems. With the 3 year lay up, did you start the engine and give it a few minutes run regularly, or was it a case of parking it up and leaving it completely untended? If that was the case, the engine was probably well gummed up and oil circulation serious impeded even though pressure light went off. If your diagnosis of the noise is correct, (I really hope its not!) then theres major issues to deal with sadly.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links