Changing Rear Brake Pads

FA57 TAZ

Hi all,

I'm due to take ownership of a 2009 320D M sport coupe next week, it currently belongs to my partners father, who's had it in storage for the last year due to emigrating. He's told me the rear brake pads are due in around 3000 miles, but I've changed these on cars before, but wasn't sure if it's something I could do myself on the 320.

If anyone has done this, I would appreciate your input as I know BMW wants around £150-£200 but the parts are only a fraction of that price.

Many thanks,

Taz

Thanks for replying Mike. I was just unsure, as I've only ever changed brakes on a Fiesta and C2. I understand that I will have to change the wear sensor too, is that correct? Is that something that's difficult to do?

Ah right, I read it that you had to change the sensor each time the pads were changed.

Thanks for your continued help Mike, it's much appreciated. This is going to be the nicest car I've owned and probably most complicated.

They are nice cars and no more complicated than any other.

When buying parts check the price at your local dealers as well, sometimes they can be cheaper.

This site is a good resource for part numbers.

www.realoem.com

Thanks for your help Mike. I get the car in a little under two weeks now. It's currently in BMW having a service and the rear brakes done by my father-in-law who I'm buying the car from. He's paying for this to be done a long with having the wheels refurbed in a colour of my choice. Any ideas on what would be the best colour to have, the car is silver, with these wheels. I don't want to go black, but I've been made aware that the new crop of the 3 series are having the wheels done in almost a light grey, which appeals to me. I'm not going to be modifying the car, so I don't want to go black and have it looked daft (no offence).

Any ideas on colour would be appreciated.

Same wheels I have on mine, mine were recoated in BMW silver and suit the car well but it is a dark green.

For a silver car I would go slightly darker than silver, as said above anthracite is nice.

Go for a colour you will be able match after you kerb them and need to touch them up.

I've completely forgot the name of the colour that BMW are using on the new 3 series, but it's almost a dark grey. I don't want it to look too stupid, I just would like to look different. I'll probably go for a grey colour, just not sure on what shade yet. I'm taking it to the place who are doing it on Tuesday after the bank holiday so I can pick out the colour at the time.

@mikesmith2939 I have a good track record of not kerbing wheels, but as this car is probably twice as long and a lot wider than my C2, I think I'll be putting that record to the test :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I changed discs and pads, and handbrake shoes, all round the other week on my E46. As Mike has said it should be same as every other motor with exception of the wear sensors. I replaced my sensors anyway with the new pads just so they were new.

A good trader I found online was called mister-auto. Sounds cheesy I know, but I got the same Bosch sets that euro car parts and GSF were offering for literally half the price (£150) as this guy sources them from Belgium.

Having to cut short here as family have just turned up but will return soon!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links