Knocking Noise 330I M Sport Convertible

Skiptonm135

Evening.

Just bought an 08 330i M Sport convertible. On the way back up the motorway from picking it up, noticed a slight constant tapping/knocking sound coming from the front edge (behind sun visors) of the roof that starts at 65 - 70 mph disappears below those speeds. The noise comes from all across the front edge of the roof. I've lifted the roof to check to see if there's anything loose and found no problems. Any ideas?

Hmmm it could be the wind during those speeds or the resonance from the engine/road reaching a frequency just needed to cause the knock

What happens if at those speeds you use your hand to PUSH up on to the roof (done safely obviously, maybe get a mate in the passenger seat to try it)?

Daz

Cheers for the tip about pushing the roof up to see it the noise alters. I'll try that. I'm pretty sure it's not a resonance noise though. I've smeared some silicone grease on the windscreen/roof seal to see it that helps. I suspect the seal on the roof is the culprit as the car has not been used and has been stood in a garage for 3 years and it feels a tad brittle so its going to Lloyd BMW next Saturday for new tyres and a once over so I'll ask them to check it.

TP

Cheers for the tip about pushing the roof up to see it the noise alters. I'll try that. I'm pretty sure it's not a resonance noise though. I've smeared some silicone grease on the windscreen/roof seal to see it that helps. I suspect the seal on the roof is the culprit as the car has not been used and has been stood in a garage for 3 years and it feels a tad brittle so its going to Lloyd BMW next Saturday for new tyres and a once over so I'll ask them to check it.

TP

You're welcome bud

Keep us posted on the outcome and let us know if we can be of assistance

Daz

Well, I've sorted the knocking/tapping noise. I've ordered am M135i to replace the 330i. The 330i is still a fantastic car though. I absolutely love it and I'll be very sad to see it go but I'm going to look after it and enjoy it until the 135i arrives.

Thanks for all your help

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links