Smelly Screen Wash

lofty

320d coupe e92 2008

Hello all

Does anyone know the best way to get to the screen wash pump on my 320d coupe ? My jets just spit a pityfull amount of very smelly water out. I suspect blocked filters but don't know how to get to the business end of the wash tank.

All help gratefully recieved

Regards. Lofty

Guest jeffthro

A simple, and admittedly optimistic, possible solution, which has actually worked for me in the past.

Hose pipe into washer bottle, push down as far as possible (not TOO heavy handedly!), hold in place, turn water on full pressure. You might be surprised at the amount of crap that comes pouring out of the top. You might not, of course, but its worth a try before you start peeing about with underbody panels and wheel arch guards to try to get at the pump outlet.

Be careful with the current contents. It stinks because of the bacteria so you dont want it splashing in your face. I use a pump to drain it all out then power blast with hose. Pump out again and then fill with fresh stuff.

many thanks for all your help i knew i would get the answer i needed.

however being an impatient man i went down the longest route of removing fos wheel and inner cover, must admit i was expecting to see a large tank with easy access to pumps hahahahaha silly me should have known it wasn't that easy.

only 1 bolt securing a huge slim line tank that wedges itself between the wing and the chassis, as i was already there i thought i might as'well remove the tank and clean that out also. i can only describe my findings as looking like the unkempt detergent draw of on old washing machine, full of old slimy soap etc.

Cleaning the filters was easy, cleaning the inside of the tank was not, i bunged up the pump holes and then standing the tank upright refilled with very hot water with a t spoon of caustic soda just to get things going, left this for 10 minutes and then drained .

Hey presto i had a tank that looked like it had come straight from the factory.

cleaning the filters i used a hot tap and old toothbrush.

after rebuilding and refitting the tank pumps etc i checked all was good and she was squirting like a gud un before replacing inner wing and wheel.

"note" be carefull when reinserting tank into its space that you don't catch the side repeater wires as i did.

kind regards

Lofty

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links