hi all

have bought a bmw scanner now to get real words instead of codes

now I have only two and the car sounds really bad the codes are

8c[140] activation map cooling

21[033] function, inlet-camshaft control bank 1

any help would be very welcome and urgently needed

I thank you all in advance

Dave

Just had a Google and the 140 code is caused by faulty thermostat or more specifically its electric control which fools the thermostat to lower engine temperature on high load. This doesn't cause any symptoms in regular driving and doesn't explain your rough running. If you want to get rid of that code you'll need a new thermostat.

The 33 code is either one of the Camshaft Position Sensors or something to do with the Vanos (No idea what this is).

• Like 1

Have you been doing any work on the car lately? If it is a V8 both the Thermostat wiring and plug and the Cam Sensor and Vanos solenoid plugs (left bank)

are at the top front of the cylinder head make sure all plugs are clean and connected.

If the plugs haven't been disturbed I would change the Thermostat that should clear the map sensor. the cam sensors are interchangeable so you can swap left bank for right (inlet for exhaust on a 6) to see if it moves the problem, if it does change the cam sensor (or both for belt and braces) If it is a Vanos issue then you may need some more advanced diagnostics as it could be the solenoid or the mechanical unit itself.

Fingers Crossed its a simple fix

Hi all

Thanks for response before i bought this car it had a oil leak and the garage removed the cam covers

to stop the leak . When i travelled to birmingham and back it started missing and juddering

but the engine was very quiet.bmw dealer changed both o2 sensors and the maf

Unit also the cam sensor on the bank 2 side since i had it back it has not been

out i am going to do an oil change with 5 /30 oil and new filter

it runs very rough unless you rev it up i dont think the timing chain is loose

i can see no damage to wiring still wondering if o2 sensor gone again or

an air leak at intake

i am at a loss of where to go from here

cheers all

How long have you had the car? Have you talked to the dealer who did the work? Is it the supplying dealer? If so get them to sort it under the sale of goods act. If they can't or wont ask for your money back.

O2 sensors will rarely cause rough running, how ever a blocked cat will. Get them checked. You can also swap the cam sensor from Bank 2 to Bank 1 if the rough running follows the change you have your culprit.

As they had the cam covers off they may have disturbed coil packs or wiring, worth a check as you say it runs rough unless you rev it

hi greydog

have swapped cam sensors still the same all this started after the o2 sensors were changed so it is going

back to the dealer as I can see no future in this chasing myself around in circles

thanks for all your help

cheers dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links