E92 320Td Advice

Fegan31

Hi guys new to the site, in the last 6 months i have got myself an e92 320 turbo diesel

One of the best cars i have driven so far and it gives plenty feedback when driving but im finding myself now looking for a little more power!

I have been looking into different routes to go down for some tuning but not sure which way to go

I was thinking of doing an air intake, decat, dpf removal, upgraded intercooler and then a re-map

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks fegan31

Remaps are supposed to work a treat on these, as for DPF removal just be careful i only collected my E92 today back from garage for some work and asked about DPF removal and he reckon they're bringing in new checks that aren't just a visual check if DPF is there and the smoke test soon wont just be a visual either. he did say on alot of their cars they put 2 holes in the filter itself which reduces back pressure and blocking still, havnt looked into it though.

Theres deff lot of benefits to remove, both power and economy and avoiding future failures but if these MOT's get tougher you could end up having to buy a brand new one anyway (unless you know someone) this would also effect the value of the car. At least normal Decats and EGR's are cheaply reversible. My DPF is prob coming close to the end of its life so im not gonna touch it until i have to coz they are so expensive. A remap is deff on my agenda though , from other owners there is a massive difference. Theres a really well respected place near me called AMD and they make the map themselves based on your car on a rolling road which is apparently the best way.

Also do you know if yours is an N47? as 2011 is when the whole timing chain issue was changed but i dont know how late in 2011, might be something to keep an eye on, thats what mine has just had done as it was ticking at 100K

Im not aure if its an n47 mate but i have noticed a slight ticking through the car, is this a common fault?

Yeah its common. how many miles has it done and does the sound , sound like a tick of a large wall clock? as in almost exactly 1 second between ticks. best way to tell i found was have the car idle in a quiet place and open drivers door and listen close to the wheel. Had to give bad news but if it is a bad chain and it snaps eventually you'll be a GOOD few grand out of luck. The other way to amplify it i found was in an enclosed place (between two walls or something) I first heard mine start in a Mc Donald's drive thru lol.

I had a look and 2011 is still N47 but less common, the "official" green light date is 03/11

EDIT* its deff an N47 you have but it could be an unaffected one that late.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=P&series=E92N&body=Cou&model=320d&zone=ECE∏=20110100&motor=N47N&steering=R&arch=0

The car was first registered in may 2011, at the moment its done 82k mileage wise, it has a definite tick/ticking noise, is this something bmw are doing a recall on or will i need to get it done myself?

The car was first registered in may 2011, at the moment its done 82k mileage wise, it has a definite tick/ticking noise, is this something bmw are doing a recall on or will i need to get it done myself?

your pretty much on ya own. They dint recall it as they virtually denied the fault for ##### knows how long. then they offered parts costs which i think would have to be with a dealer (which would be 3x more expensive on labour anyways) I just got mine done for quite a reasonable £1400 inc parts labour + VAT by local BMW indy, i got quotes from £2k down to £1400 . The chain is at the rear of the engine which is why its so expensive as its very labour heavy job. If you call any BMW indy and ask for an N47 timing chain change they all pretty much quote there and then so im guessing they do a few. Did you buy private? and if not did you get or buy any warranty?

I bought a warranty which covers the first £2k, however it doesn't cover timing chain change, but it covers engine failure due to a chain (makes sense..) if the chain snaps its about £4.5K easy for a rebuild so i was still better off doing it myself.

this is the sound (the ticking in the background)

The car was nought from a garage and at the moment it is still within my extra years warranty that i purchased, i will get the car checked out asap to see if this tick is coming from the chain, fingers crossed it isnt though lol

The ticking from my bmw is nowhere near that aggressive or loud, its a very faint noise even with bonnet open

This is quite a bad one, mine wasn't half as loud as this but it progressively got worse, and would go depending on operating temps, and was louder when i pressed down on the clutch for some reason. you might be fine but deff get it checked or keep and eye on it coz if it snaps it is game over mate, and can be dangerous to as if your on the motorway doing anything close to what the car can do and it snaps you lose all power so steering brakes the lot. sorry to have put that on ya mind but im glad someone told me when they did lol

I will get imy mayte to check it at his work asap and get his opinion on it, thanks for the advice though mate much appreciated, would rather know about an issue n get it sorted than as you say have to fork out a nasty bill in the future and especially if im going to look into tuning, its off the road at the moment so perfect timing to get it looked at lol, thanks for the advice mate!

Hi peacheyd got the car checked over this morning for the tick noise that i thought could have been my timing chain and its turns out to be my injectors lol so a relief i suppose, thats now been sorted and cars booked in for a dpf removal and remap on tuesday lol

Hi peacheyd got the car checked over this morning for the tick noise that i thought could have been my timing chain and its turns out to be my injectors lol so a relief i suppose, thats now been sorted and cars booked in for a dpf removal and remap on tuesday lol

happy days!

Let us know how the DPF removal goes , i really want this done but im not sure about these new MOT's, menna be a considerable difference though with less back pressure, and sound better to.

Jamie don't do that!!! Its madness why f%%k it all up for little or no gain and it will melt the engine leave it well alone and you will null and void your warranty if anything whatsoever goes wrong!!!!

Regards

Steve

Melt the engine? pretty sure no dpf would reduce temps

Just commented on another post in the 5 series club, E60 E90 or newer just cant take it, the margins and tolerances are minimal they pretty are at the maximums now, BMW spend 100s of millions on development and they are giving out maximum performance and economy now and to be honest its not there best engine, it needs the DPF to create back pressure but its the 100 other that screw up that melts the unit. Save the money and run it on the best diesel you get and you will notice a marked difference and also in economy, oh sorry its the bad remap to compensate for taking the DPF off that melts the engine

Regards

Steve

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links