Dpf Failure Message

simon fisher

guys. this may of been mentioned but beware. recently had a dpf failure message on my 530D E61, replaced the DPF with a aftermarket unit at £700 quid thereabouts. still the message remained and we couldn't shift it no matter what sensors and what we tried. eventually gave in and went to BMW for a full diagnostic thinking the software was at fault. after 4 hours the verdict. Faulty replacement unit was not allowing the correct back pressure and so the message kept coming back. I know it is illegal to remove it but now face the prospect of buying the genuine part at £1450.00. twice the price but with a 2 year warranty on all parts and labour I am considering the genuine item to replace the faulty aftermarket part. anyone had similar experience or I have been unlucky with a dodgy aftermarket part. I guess the question is. Do I replace it with genuine BMW part or try another aftermarket part??

Simon aftermarket ones are crap and last no time if indeed they were any good to start with, but your old DPF can be cleaned by sonic waves and once refitted they can be programed again for 125000 miles, I have had it done many times to both 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder BMW DPFs, hope you didn't through the old one away mate they are worth good money when genuine items!! £250 inc VAT for the DPF to be cleaned.

Regards

Steve

thanks Steve. old one was taken in part ex against the replacement part so no I don't have it and I'd guess its gone by now but have asked for it back already, don't hold out much hope. I think the only way forward IF old one not available is to replace with genuine part then. I have inquired with my local dealer and they are £1440.00 but come with a 2 yr warranty inc labor if faulty. I think I'll end up with that but we'll see if I can get the old one back.

yes, europarts so they should be ok but with silly season it's hard to get anyone to answer the phone, guess they may be off until the 5th. sort it then but I sure want my money back and the cost of the diagnostic at BMW and my old one back or some compensation for its value. we'll see but guns at the ready as not a happy man. lesson to not buy copy parts

• 4 weeks later...

as for MOT, it is one of the checks to make to see if it is there. of course some folk could remove the insides and weld the thing back up but if caught it is a minimum £1000.00 fine. also apparently the car needs the backpressure to be there or you have to reset the sensors or something. its my business car so went the replacement route. got my money back on the europarts one and now a very happy chap with a 100% car again.

thats what a remap and delete of dpf do,they delete sensor signals from reaching the dash,also the cats only have to be visible,they do not check to see if they inside,also you will have to fins a picky tester to check, people with petrol ahve done this with decats etc by either replacing for mot or just hiding them,

Glad you got it sorted out in the Simon, as for taking off DPFs and EGR valves and remapping its all a joke, I see BMW diesel engines melted after this 6-10 times a year, all warranties are null and void because its the first thing that's checked, my advice to all is BMW spends 100s of millions on development but somebody can destroy your car in under a year with a laptop, leave well alone or have a spare 4-6 GRAND to sort it.

Regards

Steve

ok thats fine on newer cars,but remaps are developed and there are good remaps for cars like mine . e 46 330d (204) cars, like mine which do not have dpf to start with,mines been mapped for nearly two year,and as for melted engines,never seen that or heard,and if anyone stupid enough to have a none rputeable remap etc are asking for trouble,ive done plenty of miles and not the first car ive had mapped.

Kenneth your diesel engine is a great engine and not complicated but anybody with an E60 , E90 or newer 4 or 6 cylinder should leave well alone they cant take it, its been my job for 27 years and solely BMWs for the last 10,

Regards

Steve

yeh ive heard they are not as good as the award winning m57tu unit,but i know a few people with the e9x models and there cars are fine,they are manual but ive heard the auto box was good,i personally wouldnt entertain an auto as they are to expensive to replace and can just pack up with no notice,the manual you have time as its usually gradual,i am going 3.0 litre d a5 next and will be remapping it,any tips on them engines before i start doing my home work,i usually keep a car for no more than three year and im getting itchy feet although everyday i marvel at my 12 year old cars ability to keep up with todays offerings.

can't ruddy believe it. only 3 weeks since a new genuine DPF fitted and there is now yet another DPF failure message. changed all the sensors with the new filter so ow just had enough of it. any help is much appreciated as at the point of binning BMW for good. advice welcome.

genuine, at £1600.00 of genuine BMW version. looking at changing it as totally !Removed! off with the thing. spent over 6k in the past 3 months on new torque converter, new front suspension arms, new DPF and sensors, new donut in the propshaft and now had enough of the car. reckon i should go back to an older car I can fix without daft electronics. can't understand it.

A new DPF wont just fail without reason.

1 Check to see if the glow plugs are working, if not then it could be the ECU for them £94.17 + VAT

If that all proves to be ok then my guess is the throttle pot is full of oil because vacume pipes are perished and dropping oil into it, £251.67 + VAT

Did this very job this month that started as a DPF failure but after being in and out 3 times I got to the bottom of it and to add insult to injury the exhaust manifold was cracked also and that was another £343.34 + VAT and the labour above all that came to just under £1200.

Diesels are to much bother mate petrol is the way to go.

Regards

Steve

steve. what do you mean "throttle pot" as although I'm fairly good on stuff I am a little confused as to what you mean. where do I find it and do you have any pics of this item I can check please. also noticed a slight occassional misfire at idle but fine on normal run. could this also be a EGR potential fault? need to get fixed even if i do move it on as wouldn't sell a troubled car.

steve. what do you mean "throttle pot" as although I'm fairly good on stuff I am a little confused as to what you mean. where do I find it and do you have any pics of this item I can check please. also noticed a slight occassional misfire at idle but fine on normal run. could this also be a EGR potential fault? need to get fixed even if i do move it on as wouldn't sell a troubled car.

pretty sure its sounding glow plug related.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links