White Smoke Coming From 320D Exhaust

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

I recently bought a 2005 BMW 320d sport auto with average milage, trouble is, white smoke coming from the exhaust. When the engine is running the smoke appears, then fades, then shortly comes back.

I also noticed today there's drops of oil from the exhaust. The car doesn't idol well, it sits above 1000 revs for a while then drops ever so slightly, like a splutter, but ever so slightly.

I know there's oil coming from somewhere, but what might it be.

There's a 3 month warranty with the car, so i'm keen to get this rectified before it runs out. I've been told by the dealer its condensation, but I know its more serious than that.

Can anyone point me the right direction please.

Guest Mister Dabsy

Have a smell at the tail pipe while she's running AND place your hand or a sheet of paper over it to collect residue... Come back with results...

Exactly ^

If you are having black oily emissions from the exhaust, you have an oil leak internally (pos turbo seal). You need to keep an eye on the consumption of fluids. Take quite aquarate readings of your oil level (when cold) and see if there is any loss in coolant

Daz

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, when the engine is warmed up, smoke clears. I left the car sitting untouched for 3 days over christmas, It was difficult to start, took 3 attempts, the amount of smoke was shocking. Again when the engine heated up the smoke is faint. The engine running spluttery until heated up, then it runs better, but every now and then you hear the engine struggles for a few revs. Also to note, when driving it does the same and looses power but not always when giving it the boot…

Guest Mister Dabsy

Then I would say its trying to start (roughly) on cold diesel and relying on the heat from the initial compression from the starter turning the engine, to fire it, which in turn would suggest either the glow plugs or the related timer module/relay...

White smoke from a cold started diesel will be just that as it hasn't been pre-heated, so it condensates unlike petrol which evaps... Essentially it is unburnt oil (which diesel is!) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes my diesel smokes from cold I can see a puff blow past the car is that glow plugs ??? mine is losing coolant underneath can see dripping green coolant passenger side it's driving me crazy sometimes it leaks sometimes it don't weird my does not over heat it has done 228000 miles

Losing coolant = Leak/ingestion problem. NOT injectors or glow plugs

If you are getting WHITE smoke ANNNNNNNNND you're losing a noticeable amount of coolant, that smoke is the coolant.

I would... get the engine compression/sniff tested to check the health of the head gasket before you go any further. The key bit you said that leads me to this opinion is "anti freeze is very low". ask yourself the question of "why"?

As Dabs says, yes.... unburnt oil but also concentrate on the consumption of coolant/time

Daz

The car company I bought the car off pressure checked the engine, result was no problem. He told me it was a tech problem and had it sorted. the car is now back to get an injector replaced.

Question, do you need to replace all injectors or can you just replace 1 only???

I've been told if you need 1 then you need to replace all. Doesn't sound plausible, not sure if this is true or not.

Guest Mister Dabsy

My personal opinion is replace them all for new ones... If one has failed it's only a matter of time before the others come out in sympathy for a lost comrade !!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links