Bmw Meets

we have done a few meets in the past as a club ie santa pod bmw show and the bmw festival at gaydon.the club has gone through a bit of a transitional time with a few of the clubs moderators either leaving the site as members or getting rid of thier bmws so meets have been few and far between lately.

i would however be up for organising a meet somewhere in the near future if we could get enough interest.or maybe we could put in for a clubstand at santa pod this year?

Guest jeffthro

I had a complete fail trying to arrange a meet in the Dorset/Wiltshire/Hampshire area last month, got a list of 6 including myself! I think getting commitment from everyone is difficult, plus geographical issues, of course. Maybe need to try a club meet around a "family day out" event, somewhere fairly convenient for as many as possible, Swindon, Oxford, somewhere like that?

[ had a complete fail trying to arrange a meet in the Dorset/Wiltshire/Hampshire are month, got a list of 6 including myself! I think getting commitment from everyone is difficult, plus geographical issues, of course. Maybe need to try a club meet around a "family day out" event, somewhere fairly convenient for as many as possible, Swindon, Oxford, somewhere like that?

The St club was good with meets every month we would meet up, either go for food or a ride out...Hope you can get something sorted I don't mind travelling:)

Hi Claire, due to my work commitments finding time to attend meets would be something I'd find difficult to guarantee, that's not to say I wouldn't attend if things dovetail together. As Jeffthro says, meets at somewhere people would want to go too would possibly get a better attendance. I often wondered if speaking to the Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagons would be worth while. Get them to agree a date and advertise not only a BMW Owners Club meeting but also the opportunity to visit the Museum.

I not only own a M3 but also a XJS Coupe, the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club hold a 'Jaguars at the Castle' event at Warwick Castle towards the end of the tourist season. Costs about £15 per car, regardless of number of occupants, gives you entrance to the Castle and also to a great big field of Jags. Maybe BM's at the Museum could catch on in the same way!

Just my thoughts ;-)

• Like 1

Guest jeffthro

Yes, my thoughts too, Geoff, needs to be more than just a club meet to encourage attendance. I don't know much about attractions north of the M4 corridor, but family things like Alton Towers, (but not there, far too busy and expensive to meet at!) which combined would make a full day out. Theres not a great deal down around here on the South Coast, other than Sand, Sea and Rain, perhaps the "Lions of Longleat", something like that?

Hi Claire, due to my work commitments finding time to attend meets would be something I'd find difficult to guarantee, that's not to say I wouldn't attend if things dovetail together. As Jeffthro says, meets at somewhere people would want to go too would possibly get a better attendance. I often wondered if speaking to the Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagons would be worth while. Get them to agree a date and advertise not only a BMW Owners Club meeting but also the opportunity to visit the Museum.

I not only own a M3 but also a XJS Coupe, the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club hold a 'Jaguars at the Castle' event at Warwick Castle towards the end of the tourist season. Costs about £15 per car, regardless of number of occupants, gives you entrance to the Castle and also to a great big field of Jags. Maybe BM's at the Museum could catch on in the same way!

Just my thoughts ;-)

Just my thoughts ;-)

Yeh that could be a good idea! I'm in no matter what happens lol I love meeting everyone and looking at all the cars you can always get good ideas for your own car :)

• 4 months later...

I'd be happy to meet up but I just can't see it happening. I really don't think this site is used enough to organised a get together. I used to frequent a Renaultsport site when I had my Megane 225 and like other popular sites such as STOC etc there were dozens of posts per day. Any questions asked were replied to multiple times within hours of them being posted. Sadly on this site there just isn't as many people getting involved and in my experience it goes days with no contributions. Perhaps the type of person that drives a 3 series is different to those driving hot hatches and they aren't as interested in owners clubs?

When I got the car, I assumed the forums would be booming with activiety as E46's are everywhere on the roads and german car owner sites (Golfs etc) are usually extremely popular, but I think I got it wrong this time, which is a shame.

If something is sorted I'm on for it though. Other than that, check out Pistonheads regularly as they hold Sunday Services arout the country and the one I tried to attend about a month ago (and broke down on the way there) had 750 cars attend, including a new La Ferrari and all manor of exotica.

Guest jeffthro

As you can see from previous messages on this thread, Jamie, you are quite right. Although I am a staffer myself and the team do try. we get very little interest in meeting proposals. There are two very active and well supported "county" based clubs around me, and the very best of wishes to any BMW club, but I am much older -MUCH older- than all of their members, and my car interest is from a completely different angle to them. That, I think, is our problem here, we are more the mature enthusiast with the well cared for standard cars and more content with a quiet lunch at a country pub than a BMW track day at a "club fest" type of scenario.

Am I being classed as older and mature? Crickey!

I would like to think I/we appreciate a more well kept car than perhaps some younger drivers and 'modding' a BMW to within an inch of its life is not my priority - however in my younger days I was a keen reader of Max Power and had a cover car on there so I respect those who still enjoy that scene. I agree though that most on here only pop on from time to time to ask the odd question and wouldn't be up for a large gathering as our average age is perhaps higher than some other sites and we are perhaps not as enthusiastic about moddifying and showing off our cars as ST owners amoungst others might be.

I'd still quite like an old ST I must say. And the new RS, sadly my pockets aren't deep enough

Guest jeffthro

Am I being classed as older and mature? Crickey!

I would like to think I/we appreciate a more well kept car than perhaps some younger drivers and 'modding' a BMW to within an inch of its life is not my priority - however in my younger days I was a keen reader of Max Power and had a cover car on there so I respect those who still enjoy that scene. I agree though that most on here only pop on from time to time to ask the odd question and wouldn't be up for a large gathering as our average age is perhaps higher than some other sites and we are perhaps not as enthusiastic about moddifying and showing off our cars as ST owners amoungst others might be.

I'd still quite like an old ST I must say. And the new RS, sadly my pockets aren't deep enough

I was trying to be diplomatic and polite to all, Jamie, lol. (And you're a lot younger than me, but I'm VERY old and mature - a very runny old bit of stilton.) Lets just say the other clubs I mentioned are much more the Max Power readers for whom, like you, I have every respect for, but don't think would get much out of this club. And I nearly bought an ST220 a couple of years ago, until the owner admitted that although it had a new MOT it had been SORNed for over two years. <_<

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffthro

I will have a go at arranging something in the New Year, Steve. I tried to do a meet last Spring in North East Dorset but it didn't raise much interest. I'll do some scouting around after Christmas and see if I can find somewhere nice to do a Family lunchtime up around the Chippenham or Marlborough area. Hopefully be more attractive to a larger area, just off M4, so more convenient.

• 3 months later...

Give us a shout closer to the time and we'll see what we can get sorted. Any excuse to get together and im there.

Steve, see you have an auto, i would never want to go back to manual since i got one coupla years ago.

Stuck in slow moving queues used to &#33;Removed&#33; me off but not so much now lol

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links