Bmw M3 Gtr Street Project

m3dragon

Please be aware this is a VERY picture intensive build thread.

(place holder for build sheet link)

The following build thread is the conversion of an E46 M3 into an E46 M3 GTR Street Car. Unlike most “GTR” conversion, you see people make, this is meant to be as close to factory as possible using parts that are available today. Unfortunately, some parts will have to be aftermarket, as the OE parts are no longer made or were never available.

This build is planned to be completed hopefully within the next two years to be a showcase car for the 2016 event that I am planning for the E46 M3. As with my other build to make a CSL, a fully document process of the change will be posted here along with another in-depth build sheet.

I hope you enjoy the process and I welcome questions and ideas, as my hope is to make this somewhat a community project. By this, I mean ideas are welcome but in the end may not be used due to time, cost, or just too far out there. Those enthusiasts who wish to help / learn in this build process are welcome to come out and help once the build begins.

What is a GTR Street Car?
The E46 M3 GTR street car was made for BMW to compete in the Le Mans Race Series. For a complete history on these cars there is some website that offer limited data. The few image that exist are pictured below. Love or hate looks, this is the plan on what the car will look like once I am done. A note is that some changes will be made as to accommodate parts being used and some customizing to make unique.

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(1).jpg

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(2).JPG

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(3).jpg

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(4).jpg

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(5).jpg

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(6).jpg

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(7).jpg

The Project Car
The car that is being used for the body of this project has been around on the M3forums for a while. I am stating off with a 2003 E46 M3 in manual and 133K on the motor.
There will be a lot of parts for sale soon from this car in order to fun the build. If you need parts, please check the for sale section to offer your support in this build.

The donor parts car will be a E9X M3 for the motor transmission and other bits. This is still in the process of being scourced.

Project Cars History
The car I was told started off life with screen name Mr. wolfe. Here are the images I could find of the car online at the beginning. No history beyond this:

100_0393-1.jpg

DSCN0672.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

Car moving out west

Car was packed up and shipped out west to start its new life on the other side of the US. The car as you see in the images needs some TLC but over all in is in good shape for what is needed.

transport_(1).JPG

transport_(2).JPG

transport_(3).JPG

transport_(4).JPG

transport_(5).JPG

transport_(6).JPG

transport_(7).JPG

First progress update: Living in the car hating state of California, I had to get a smog check done before I registered. Took the car on my usual 20 minute warm up run and had no issue. Car is mechanically sound just looks like the ugly duckling. Made it to the smog station, kept the car warm before they pulled into the bay.

Only idled for 3 minutes before they pulled it so I was not worried about passing now. Go in take care of the paper work, come back out to see how the car does with the usual test. Guy is doing his usual visual check and was waiting for him to do the sniff test and what happens, they pull the car out as all they needed was a computer. WHAT! I went through all that and you just did a computer check to pass. While that is YAY it was a DOH!.

So those in CA who are reading this I got the 411 from the station. They are now finally slowly rolling out the computer only test. Select places have it and are ensuring it works. Any car 1996 till now is computer only. Older requires the full sniff test.

Next step is to begging tear down as well as find a wrecked E9X M3. I am having the damdest time getting one. Friend of a friend is trying but no luck / unknown if they are bidding on either copart or IAA. If someone has a lead I am all ears.

I was waiting to post this for some odd reason but I don't know why. At any rate, the donor car has been found and acquired. She is a roll-over but runs and drives and is on here way west. Delivery date is Friday 3/28 WHOHOO.

Project will not start for a few a month or two as the shop where the majority of the work will be done is almost complete. I will share the shop pics once it is done. For now here is the pics of the car at copart.

E90_donor_(1).JPG

E90_donor_(2).JPG

E90_donor_(3).JPG

E90_donor_(4).JPG

E90_donor_(5).JPG

E90_donor_(6).JPG

E90_donor_(7).JPG

E90_donor_(8).JPG

E90_donor_(9).JPG

E90_donor_(10).JPG

That plot has thickened with the E90 M3 donor car. What I had reported was it was a roll over with unknown mileage. I was working on the shop space with some buddies and we discovered it was not a roll over. Instead we found it went through a building and has 24K on it. Mileage is easy as car turns on and drives. The reason we know it went through a building is there is sheet rock and insulation in and around the car.

It has a winter tire setup so likely someone lost control and found a house or office building. Images of are the car after I picked it up from the shipper and have it resting inside the shop. Last image is of the shop under construction along with the chasse car.

E90_EndMarch_(1).jpg

E90_EndMarch_(2).jpg

E90_EndMarch_(3).jpg

E90_EndMarch_(4).jpg