Fuel For My New Beemer

Stevoc

Hi all , first post so be gentle! Just got my hands on my brill 528 msport 99 model.

I've had various alleged experts tell me to put the super unleaded in or not for that matter! So if any input from the BMW family would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Guest Mister Dabsy

Go with your own instincts matey, or even with your wallet !! There was a well publicised road-test on these so called "SUPER" unleaded fuels... Not so super :angry: ...

All fuel types contain additives which preserve the fuels qualities, and its the individual Fuel companies which "use" the "Super" idea to draw the more richer motorists to their pumps !! Its all Bo**ox to me so my advice is save yer money and put the same shite in that 75% of the planet does !! :)

I agree with Jim. A lot has been written about 'Ron' values and how I should be running the M on 98Ron. Loads more talk about which garages to use and not to use and which brands to buy and what brands not to buy. TBH I haven't been able to tell the difference between 95 and 98 other than the 98 is more expensive. It might make a difference but this poor old fella ain't able to tell. Use the cheap stuff it still gets you there :-)

Yeah that sounds a good call jim. Watched a few tv progs on the subject, ie fifth gear, and they found no substance to the claims made by the oil barons that the fancy stuff is better or gives you more bhp and the like. So yeah it's the"normal " stuff for me 👍

Guest Mr.Beemer

hello & welcome to the forum -

some cars can benefit from higher octane fuel but majority of them wont make any difference what so ever. stick to normal fuel & don't get tricked in to the scheme :P

for your piece of mind you can try both out & see how your car responds overall -

The team are right in saying, it works for some cars.

Higher octane fuel is typically more stable. That means if you apply heat and pressure to it (what happens within the chambers) it is less likely to go bang before the piston reaches top dead center. Race tuned engines have a much higher compression ratio. That means the fuel is squeezed alot more by the piston before the spark ignites it. pre-detonation(often refereed to as just detonation) is bad because it pushes the piston down BEFORE it reaches top dead centre causing a distinctive knocking noise. I doubt very much your engine is knocking because of the fuel quality therefore, nothing to fix

Higher octane fuel (super) is marketed to the public to fix a problem that is not really there. Typical "Snake oil" scenario.

Super fuel is cleaner? Take a fuel filter out of a functioning 18 year old car which has had the same fuel filter from factory. With care, try blow through it. You'll find if the car has been driven on British roads throughout it's life, you'll see it's not clogged. Try doing that with a car from a less developed country and you'll still be able to blow through it but with alot more resistance. Again, Super fuels fixing a problem? A... "problem" that we have with the quality of fuel? I personally do not think so. You could say that the fuel came from the same source which is true but, us Brits have quite high trading standards and dirty fuels tend to get stopped at quality control apposed to other places which think "If it catches fire, shuv it in a car"

Hope this helps
Daz

Source: I study effects of fuel additives within combustion engines.

Guest jeffthro

When I were a nipper, I worked in a petrol station a couple of evenings and sundays to earn my own Mars Bar money,. and it served 91,95,97,99 and 101 octane. Now bear in mind this was back in the days when if you didn't mind the smell, you could "dilute" a tank of petrol with a gallon of Esso blue paraffin and save yourself half a crown (12 1/2 pence). Fuels nowadays are vastly more sophisticated, as, of course, are the engines they feed. I personally do lean toward Shell V-Power. I always used it in my Primera GT mainly because the extra cost was easily covered by improved economy. (So there must be something in their claims?) I guess maybe ever since I've been a little caught up in the hype, but being in the V-Power Club, it is rather nice to get the £10+ money off voucher every 3 months.

And yes, I know I've paid for them in the extra cost per litre, but if I'm getting extra mpg too, well, we could just go on and on........ :P

Those were the days ah Jeff. Fish and Chips in the news of the world, chalk and slate boards and 3 gallons of premium (14+litres) for less than a quid. Mustn't forget the green shield stamps.

I honestly don't believe that during normal driving the extra Ron is really noticeable. Having said that I do alternate fill ups using both 95 and 98. At least this satisfies the BMW 98 Ron preferred but 95 to 98 recommended.

Much obliged to one and all for all the insightful and downright scientific replies regarding my fuel choice! Lol means I can now arm myself with the knowledge and put to right the "experts" who are telling this and that! Great site and very helpful members 😊

I heard somewhere that the more expensive fuel contains additives that cleans your engine, much the same as the Redex stuff.

But then again I've also heard that stuff like Redex has no effect.

There has to be something in BP ultimate that justifies the increase of over 25 pence per litre over their normal fuel

Personally I don't see a big difference, but I'd like to think my car loves me more for treating her to something a bit more expensive :P

Richard :)

Guest jeffthro

Thinking you maybe mean 25p per gallon? I think I may be in a bit of a minority on this thread, but yes, there are certainly additives in the "premium" fuels. And I'm harping back to the "Good Old Days" again, but there used to be a number of commercially available additives in sachets, bottles and individual shots which were certainly recognised as a worthwhile expense.

Do you remember too, not that many years ago, there were at least two major incidents of contaminated or inferior fuel supplies causing a large number of engine failures? Somewhere in the Home Counties, if I remember rightly? And that wasn't Shell or BP or Esso, unless my memory deceives me? :)

It's your call, ultimately. The fuel does have a lot of extra bells and whistles, but that's not to say 'ordinary' fuels don't. Most of the petrol and diesel fuels sold in the UK are formulated to clean and protect your engine – even the stuff sold at supermarkets. Some fuels are better than others, obviously, but if you value performance and economy there's probably no harm in investing in a fuel you think will give you the best value for money in the long term.

Done bit more research myself on the subject! Google is great! And after a good hour or so it seems the majority believe in the normal cheap stuff, and I say that with tongue firmly in cheek. So I'll let the fatcat oil execs get a couple a mill bonus instead of their usual hundreds of mills! I don't think my new big baby will unlove me for it😳

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links