Water Leak Inside Drivers Floor Area

gareth0712

Hi,

Would anybody have any advice on the following, my X5 has been parked for a week on the drive, it's been raining heavily and the carpets are soaked on the drivers side, I have checked door seal which are all ok, there is no sun roof, I have taken out the micro filter and looked in the compartment under the scuttle panel for drain holes but coudn't find any?

Any help or advice with a picture would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth

Look along the "firewall" directly behind the engine... May have a dodgy bung or three !

Is it dry in the rear seat footwells?

Hi Jim,

The water is only in the drivers footwell, I had the pollen filter housing out today, there was a bit of leaf debris in there so cleaned it all out and put back together, I could see that with heavy rain the drain holes would quickly back up, especially with leaf debris in there, and overflow in to the air intake / heater matrix.

Waiting for the next big downfall

Gareth

• 8 years later...

Hi everyone!

I just got a BMW X5 2009, this days rain a lot and yesterday I found two puddles on the back passenger floor near to doors. They are not big but is soacked. does anyone know where that water could come.?Does anyone had this problem before? Thank you

Morning Gabriel

Welcome to the Forum

The obvious is have you had passengers in and out of the back ? If not the are the windows closed right up ? If they are then check the door seals and make sure the membrane behind the door cards are in place and not torn or badly fitted.

Dave

1 hour ago, Greydog said:

Morning Gabriel

Welcome to the Forum

The obvious is have you had passengers in and out of the back ? If not the are the windows closed right up ? If they are then check the door seals and make sure the membrane behind the door cards are in place and not torn or badly fitted.

Dave

Thank you, I’m happy to be here.

There was no passengers in and out as on the back I have to child seats, the windows are  up close and locked for safety.  Now I’m not an expert so what you mean by the membrane behind the door cards?is that behind the doors panels, I have to take them off and check ? 

Hi Gabriel

Yes, the door panel as you call it can be removed with a torx screwdriver and a trim removal tool 

Behind it is a clear plastic waterproof membrane stuck to the door with a mastic type adhesive. If someone has been in there for some reason, they may have torn the membrane (seen that a few times) or not put it back correctly.

If you're DIYing to check, use your wife's hairdryer to soften the mastic before pulling at it. If the membrane is torn, you could try a repair with something like gaffer tape.

Dave