E46 'clonking' From Front Right- Newbie Question

Timo_E46

Just bought an E46 318ci with 85k on the clock. Seems to run fine (although no mention of a waterpump change in the history, gulp) but there definitely is a clonking sound coming from the front right over certain kinds of bumps, not a constant. Heard this was common but just wanted more info as to what it is and the costs involved. Also if someone could confirm that it is not perilously dangerous, got a lot of driving to do soon.

The guy I bought it from said he's just had work done on the front right, unfortunately as I type this I do not have the paperwork in front of me as to what exactly was carried out, but clearly still something wrong.

Any info would be great, cheers

Guest Mister Dabsy

Firstly, you need to ask the previous owner what work and why? Usually both sides are done at the same time, so I suspect some minor accident !!

It is almost certainly a suspension issue, whether it be wisbone/bushes, steering joints or shocker(s)...

Don't worry too much about things breaking or falling off your BMW... Vauxhalls were like that NEW !! :unsure: :D

Either front rear wishbone bush
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-3-SERIES-FRONT-WISHBONE-ARM-REAR-BUSHES-PAIR-98-05-D3-015-/110940202907?hash=item19d48d279b

Or drop link.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-BMW-E46-3-SERIES-98-04-E85-E86-Z4-2002-FRONT-DROP-LINK-ROD-D3-090-/261131178218?hash=item3ccca190ea

It is common for people to change one side, lazy but common.

Why your under there, you may as well change the control arm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-LOWER-CONTROL-WISHBONE-ARMS-BUSHES-KIT-x-2-/400395532292?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d396ef804

Also shocks will need doing soon, so get some springs too.

Rear shock will need replacing soon too.

Dont panic, all this can be done for less than 300 notes if you do the work yourself, simple stuff, just 2 awkward bolts in the control arms.

Had a good look at the innards yesterday with the wheels on full lock. Looks like it was the drop links that were replaced recently, they're shiny and new in comparison. Nothing looked like it was about to fall off = good. Bad= most recent MOT there was an advisory for 'slight play in nearside front rear wishbone bush' So Gavin you were spot on.

I'd imagine the slight play is now more substantial if there's knocking... however not being awfully clued up on suspension, is it still safe to do a 200 mile round trip this weekend? Would this also explain the ride being quite 'spongy' in an uneven sense, or would this be more a sign the shocks are foobarrd?

If you havn't already guessd it..this E46 was a rush buy :unsure:

• 5 weeks later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links