Differential Help.

E36-Steve

Hi guys,

I've been doing some research into either getting a welded diff or an LSD. I have come to the conclusion to get a welder (but buy a standard diff and get it welded myself).

I know there are different types of diff ratio's and different diff's from different models i.e. compact/saloon.

Does anyone know what diff's would fit in my 1998 E36 318is and which ones wouldn't?

Thanks,

Steve.

Hey steve,

Importantly, what are you going to be using the car for?

although the 318is can be quite fun, it doesn't have alot of power so it is commonly believed that an LSD is not realyl needed unless you are going out of your way to make the car go sideways.

Daz

... This one won't fit...

:P :lol: (I'm no help, am i ?!!)

Haha, i'll have to take that one back then :(. Had to take three of the walls and the roof off the garage to get it in as well lol.

Hey steve,

Importantly, what are you going to be using the car for?

although the 318is can be quite fun, it doesn't have alot of power so it is commonly believed that an LSD is not realyl needed unless you are going out of your way to make the car go sideways.

Daz

Hi again Daz,

Well it's a daily/part time drift car. (Occasional track days).

It does go out quite easily and holds a nice angle but it annoys me that only one wheels spins lol. My mate just put a welded diff in his MX5 and he says it's a lot more controlled.

Because it's only gonna be occasional drifting it's not worth the money for an LSD and I don't want a second hand one as they do eventually wear and become open. Plus I don't want to buy a diff already welded as I like to know who's done the job if that makes sense?

So i'm going to buy a diff and get it welded by someone I trust. Just need to sort out what diff I need really.

Steve.

Weld your existing one?

I can't really have the car off the road that long to have it done and don't have the money to insure any of my other cars. Also if I have the original one still I can always swap them back if need be.

I can't really have the car off the road that long to have it done and don't have the money to insure any of my other cars. Also if I have the original one still I can always swap them back if need be.

Good point.

Not a big job to weld it. Won't be off the road mate.

Do what ya think is best bud :P

Daz

Good point.

Not a big job to weld it. Won't be off the road mate.

Do what ya think is best bud :P

Daz

Hmmmmm true I could plan around it and get it done in a day but nice to keep the original one as a spare :). Just need to find out what diff is best to get to weld.

Cheers again Daz.

Ok so I've asked around and done a little research and thought I would put what I have found on here in case anyone else is looking to do anything similar.

The higher the diff ratio the better is will be to weld for drifting. My 318is is a 3.4 ratio which isn't bad but really you want to be up in the 4's.

The 318is Auto, 318i Auto and the 316i Auto all have 4.4 ratio diff's.

But now I need to know if I will need to change the drive shafts to run one of these diff's. Can anyone help me with that?

Steve

Can't help ya there as never messed with a E36 propshaft :P

But yes, Auto motors have s3xy diffs ^_^

Daz

Haha, I'll just have to keep my eye out on someone stripping an auto and take the drive shafts as well.

Oh the joy's on the plus side I just ordered my Powerflex (Purple) wishbone bushes, so that will keep me busy for maybe a day :P.

Sorry to not stick with OEM Daz :P.

Haha, I'll just have to keep my eye out on someone stripping an auto and take the drive shafts as well.

Oh the joy's on the plus side I just ordered my Powerflex (Purple) wishbone bushes, so that will keep me busy for maybe a day :P.

Sorry to not stick with OEM Daz :P.

Everyone has different preferences. Life would suck even more than it already does if everyone was the same. A review once they are installed in comparison to your previous OEM bushes would be nice and appreciated by many.

IF you find a diff that you love the idea of, get your prop shaft shortened. Take it to an engine shop, they'll chop it, balance it and everyones ahappy

Daz

Everyone has different preferences. Life would suck even more than it already does if everyone was the same. A review once they are installed in comparison to your previous OEM bushes would be nice and appreciated by many.

IF you find a diff that you love the idea of, get your prop shaft shortened. Take it to an engine shop, they'll chop it, balance it and everyones ahappy

Daz

I'll see if I can borrow my mates GoPro and video how to do the job as well if you like, if not i'll have to do it with my Nikkon.

But yeh i'll do a little review for you, might be able to sway you over to the dark side :p.

I didn't realise you could do that with the props, i'll have to look into that.

Cheers.

I'll see if I can borrow my mates GoPro and video how to do the job as well if you like, if not i'll have to do it with my Nikkon.

But yeh i'll do a little review for you, might be able to sway you over to the dark side :P.

I didn't realise you could do that with the props, i'll have to look into that.

Cheers.

Nahhhh I'm pretty set in my ways regarding vehicular-rubber! ^_^

A review/guide will help those less in the know. Sharing is always caring. Why else would we be here eh?

Looking forward to the end result

Daz

Nahhhh I'm pretty set in my ways regarding vehicular-rubber! ^_^

A review/guide will help those less in the know. Sharing is always caring. Why else would we be here eh?

Looking forward to the end result

Daz

Haha, never say never....

Ok well i'll put something together, still in two minds whether or not to DIY it on the driveway or take it to my mates garage for him to press the old bush out. Would be much easier to get it pressed out but it's all the way over in White City lol.

Plus this is my first BMW and never done bushes before. Keep your fingers crossed for me :). Think there arriving Tuesday.

Steve.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links