E46 320D Smoke & Loss Of Power

BMWayne

Help!

my 320d has been blowing shed loads of BLUE / WHITE smoke from exhaust that cars behind need fog lights on! This is mainly pulling away after being in traffic or at lights when hot or cold, but I've also had loss of power & like its about to cut out, but intermittently.

I cleaned EGR Valve & replaced the Air Filter (next service due in 5K) but no joy, so is my Turbo going.... Does it give signs of going or just pack up?

Anything else I should be looking at, some say it could be back pressure from a faulty CAT & it blows out when pulling away, or MAF problems.

My drive has spots of soot where I've revved the engine.

Guest Mister Dabsy

Blue/white smoke when engine is at running temp is not good !

Check the fluids for ANY cross-contamination first...

Hey

Black spots on the drive from a Diesel is quite the norm! haha especially if you have been out fiddling with it and giving it some recently. As Dabz said, smoke from back end when Diesel engine is at op temp is noooot good.

What I would do is get a compression test done. Very much your DIY job.... if you had a petrol. Diesel is a tad more difficult as the test is done via the injector holes in the head. Garage should be able to handle it for you. This should give you an idea to whether the head/valves/gasket/rings are healthy B)

Might be the turbo. Any rattle from it? Is she pulling okay when you put your foot down?

Keep us posted!

Daz

Thanks for the input guys.

I've checked the water & oil, all is normal (no contamination) on way home last night & she ran perfect, nice whistle from turbo no rattles or other noises, then going to work this morning & she went again as if she was choking. Was doing about 40mph in 3rd & she wanted to cut out. A blast of black smoke this time when I revved the engine with clutch down & ran OK again. Not had any blue or white smoke in last 2 runs.

Doing 24 miles a day.

Think I'll get her into garage of a friend instead of stealers.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links