Bmw 316I Se 2002 - Couple Of Queries From A Newb

dopper

Hello Guys,

Ive recently taken the plunge and purchased my first BMW, a 316i SE 1.9 Petrol. Ive got a couple of queries and some (hopefully) minor issues with the car that I would really appreciate your thoughts on:

1 - The coolant warning light comes on from cold and seems to disappear after several miles. I know next to nothing about cars, but have checked the coolant level and its seems to be OK with no easily identifiable signs of leaking around the tank. Im thinking that perhaps the coolant level is borderline OK, explaining why when the car warms up (presumably the coolant expands a little) it makes the float activate and turn the warning light off? Is it worthwhile topping it up to just below the maximum level?

2 - The centre console has a silver trim that runs across the car from the passenger side to the drivers side. this has got a few scratches on it and ideally i would like to renew it. How difficult is this to remove?

3 - I cannot seem to find an owners manual for the 316i saloon anywhere on the internet? Does anyone happen to know where one can be obtained from?

Sorry for all the questions in a first post, but any help would be most appreciated!

Lee

hi lee . it will do it no harm topping it up make sure its cold ideally .. the plastic trim i assume just clips off .. my e46 dash strips did .. and a owners manual again i thought its the model you want so e46 /36 haynes manual ive never owned one personally i just have a bash myself its all nuts and.bolts my friend .

Thanks for the reply chris. I topped it up so that the float was in the correct position and the dash warning light has gone off. I will keep my eye on it to ensure that it's not leaking. I did have a look all around the coolant expansion valve and could see anything there or on the plate mounted at the bottom of the engine. Presumably the coolant must have evaporated!

Welcome to BMWOC mate.

Where in Staffordshire you from?

Thanks mate, Im from Stoke-on-Trent.

Ive had the car for just over a week and I must say its fantastic to drive. Even though its a lowly 316 SE its a massive upgrade from my previous Fiesta!

Guest Mister Dabsy

Coolant shouldn't evaporate buddy ! Do you think it is losing some? Any puddles or green/grey traces around the rad or pipework?

Check the rubber washer in the filler-cap...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links