E39 M5 Clutch Replacement

james63

Hello M people,

Can anyone tell me what I might expect to pay for clutch replacement on my 2002 M5? Go on, tell me, I'm sitting down....

I am actually a little surprised that replacement appears to be due, because the car's mileage is indicated at 28k, but I guess it depends on usage. Can clutch mal-adjustment feel like clutch problem (bearing in mind pedal travel -I assume if pedal travel is correct but clutch slips, then the clutch needs replacing..)?

Thanks in advance..

I would have thought it would be hydraulic so there would be no way of adjusting it, easiest way of checking for clutch slip is to drive up a slight incline in a gear that is too high, ie 5/6 and if the revs go straight up but your speed doesn't increase then the clutch will need changing, another way to tell is by how high the pedal is off the floor before it bites, should be about half way for a good clutch

• 2 months later...

Clutch has been replaced under warranty from the dealer. It took a bit of persuading, which was beginning to feel like a fight might be necessary, but hats off to Hexagon N. Finchley for doing the right thing in the end. Their technicians testing the car (on the North Circular, where traffic conditions and things like, well, The Law, limited the range of the testing) couldn't detect clutch slippage; we, on the other hand, on the local circuit (remarkably similar to stretches of the A303)were inducing slippage every time we floored it in 4th at 90mph up a hill.

All is well, now. Might be looking for rear tyres soon.....

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links