Diff Question

Noob

Hi, running an e36 318is and was thinking about getting the diff welded but not sure if its worth it with the car having a small engine, iv got a 380bhp scooby for power so my coupe is my every day run about and I need to make it a bit more fun.

Has anyone had there diff welded or know somebody that has and if so did it make a big difference?

Pretty restricted money ways so id probably just mod a standard diff. Would prefer a 323 diff with 2.93 ratio but changing from a type 168 casing to a 188 casing would mean changing the prop and drive shafts so i will probably just try picking up another 318is diff (3.38 i think) and wouldn't go for a 100% weld, maybe 60/40. I really need to look in to it a bit more and speak to people that know there stuff.

Any advice appreciated.

Pretty restricted money ways so id probably just mod a standard diff. Would prefer a 323 diff with 2.93 ratio but changing from a type 168 casing to a 188 casing would mean changing the prop and drive shafts so i will probably just try picking up another 318is diff (3.38 i think) and wouldn't go for a 100% weld, maybe 60/40. I really need to look in to it a bit more and speak to people that know there stuff.

Any advice appreciated.

If your set on doing this, just weld your existing one bud

• 2 months later...

How safe is it to weld a diff? Sorry for intruding but I read somewhere that if the weld breaks you're pretty screwed, is that true? I have always wanted to get that done but too scared to do it lol :S

If done correctly, It's fine. IF you do it yourself (which is fine if you want to learn) than you may have problems I guess....

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links