Front Tyres For 1 Series... 'spensive!

danmemorylane

Im looking at getting 2 new front tyres for my 1 series and am getting all kinds of quotes.

They're low profile 18inch run flats (215 / 40 / R18)

Ive also been told that they HAVE to be run flats by some people, and that they dont by others?

any advice or cheap links would be appreciated. (currently blackcirlces or etyres look to be the best?)

cheers

D

post-4495-0-22890700-1345049700_thumb.jp

• 5 months later...

If you are still on a look out for new tyres, the RFT/non-RFT is a personal preference, although BMW advises not to use non-RFT, since the suspension, wheels and puncture sensors where calibrated to run specifically with the RFT tyres.

You cannot do any damage, but be aware that without a RFT tyres, once you get a puncture, you might be left stranded on the hard shoulder or worse, unless you get a spare/inflation kit. Modern RFTs can get you home safely even if you're 150 miles away (unless you drive over 50mph with a puncture), and even if you have literally no pressure in the wheel at all.

I think the price is worth the convenience. Plus, the RFT drive is much nicer for me, personally.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I hate the run flats as they're soooooo expensive and don't do the same mileage as non run flats.

However if you fit non run flats to a car that has them factory fitted as standard by the manufacturer then it will fail its MOT if you fit standard tyres!

Best stick with run flats... and I've found Kwik Fit do the best price.

H

Personally I hate the run flats as they're soooooo expensive and don't do the same mileage as non run flats.

However if you fit non run flats to a car that has them factory fitted as standard by the manufacturer then it will fail its MOT if you fit standard tyres!

Best stick with run flats... and I've found Kwik Fit do the best price.

H

Hi, you will not fail an MOT for not having OEM fitted tyres. You will fail an MOT if you have 1 RFT and 1 non RFT on the same axle..

• 11 months later...

I saw somewhere that you will lose money if you try to trade-in to a BMW dealer if the car should have run flats but these are no longer on the car as the dealer will price into the deal to put run flats back on.

Guest Mister Dabsy

"Confucias" say... If cars were NOT meant to have punctures then we would have SOLID rubber tyres !
BUT NO... Dunlop created an air-filled cross-ply which u could patch-up FFS...

THEN 80 years on, some clown decided to rip off the motorist in favour of women drivers (and a couple of cubic feet of space in boot) to employ "RunFlats"...

DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THIS...

Bin them and put normals on END OF !!

Guest jeffthro

"Confucias" say... If cars were NOT meant to have punctures then we would have SOLID rubber tyres !

BUT NO... Dunlop created an air-filled cross-ply which u could patch-up FFS...

THEN 80 years on, some clown decided to rip off the motorist in favour of women drivers (and a couple of cubic feet of space in boot) to employ "RunFlats"...

DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THIS...

Bin them and put normals on END OF !!

+1. What has been said about the BMW dealers minusing the price of a set on P/X may well be right, but if you are keeping the car until further notice that doesn't matter, you'll save that cost anyway over a period of time, AND, they are more gimmick and rip off than anything else anyway. I've been driving over 40 years, the roads were just as badly maintained then as they are now, and I've had to change a tyre due to a sudden and total Puncture (as opposed to an embedded nail/screw/shard causing a slow needing to be changed over the next few days) THREE times. i.e. approx. once every 13 years. It ain't exactly rocket science whats going on there. is it?

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links