Swirl Flaps

Just bought myself a 2006 E60 530d M Sport a couple of month ago and really like it,but usual story after you buy something all the horror stories come out regarding swirl flap failure. Anyone here got any views on this. I have been in the motor trade all my working life so doing the job is not a worry or an issue but would like to hear other peoples comments on this matter.

There basically flaps that open and close on the inlet manifold.

They open and let more air in when the car is idle. I think it's just an emission thing because blanking them off doesn't affect performance at all.

They are little flat plates that pivot on a tiny pin, it's the pin that breaks and the flap gets sucked in and damage pistons.

Guest DazH

As far as I am aware, only installed in the manifolds of the Automatic transmission variants.

Friend of mine just purchased a Manual 530d E39 which does not have them installed from factory. This may be true only in the I6 lumps but not entirely sure. Will research this when I get 5 minutes

Guest DazH

Charlee, Your engine is petrol therefore is unaffected by swirl flaps. A petrol engine is manipulated by a butterfly valve to control throttle where as a traditional diesel is not. The swirl flap ADDS a butterfly valve into the equation . you have nothing to worry about.

this should clear up who has them and who does not.

M47 engine(136bhp non common rail vp44 injection pump) DO NOT HAVE swirl flaps

M47N common rail engine (including M47N/M47TU/M47TUD20)(150bhp face lift model August-September 2001 onwards) has flaps

M57 engines(M57D)(525d & 187bhp 330d) have no swirl flaps on the manual cars BUT AUTOMATICS DO

M57N engines(M57TUD)(525d & 330d 204bhp) have swirl flaps both manual and automatics

BMW 4 cylinders M47 diesels post late 2008 early 2009 are not fitted with swirl flaps anymore, to check your car enter your car chassis number into realoem.com and check your specification, also 6 cylinder N57 diesel engines have a flap control but this is an inline system and not a swirl flap system..

Swirl flap blanks should be arriving tomorrow, ordered 6 of both sizes to make sure i had everything covered. Hoping to get the job done this Friday then pop the unused set back in the post for a refund.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Sorry to bring up an old post, but im a little unclear if my 2004 530D Auto should have its Swirl Flaps removed or if it even has any. As it mentions M57N engines 525D but not the 530D?

According to RealOEM.com I have a M57N so im just trying to make sure if I need to get the Swirl Flaps blanked off.

Thanks in advance.

Fraz

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links