Some Acceleration Issues.

Hi guys, i've owned my 320d for a few weeks now, its the 2001 136hp version.

I'm noticing that the car has a serious lack of power under 2000rpm and simply can't pull away unless its above this.

Apart from this the car doesn't have much continuous boost and acceleration isn't that smooth. I mean, its not bad at all, just feel it could be better.

Thinking maybe MAF or ECU? Any advice on how to start combatting the low rev sluggishness?

Many thanks guys!

Olli

Iv not driven a 320d yet so i cant comment on their overall power but my guess would definitley be your MAF sensor...

The MAF sensor is fitted in the inlet duct on the outlet of the air filter and measures the mass of air flowing into the engine. In theory,the ecu will inject the correct amount of fuel for the amount air going in...

If the maf signal is failing, the first obvious sign is very sluggish acceleration when pulling away from rest. This is also the cause of that heart stopping delay pulling onto roundabouts and into heavy traffic.

I bet you suffer from irratic idling too when u stop at lights??

Best way to confirm this is remove it ( with the engine off!!! ) temporarily and see if its any better.

Try it on your way home from work =p its only a wire that unclips, and let us know =)

Thanks very much! Especially for the explanation! I might try to remove the MAF temporarily to see how it does :)

Booked in for a diagnostic at a local garage and will get back to you about results!

Just another thought: Will MAF issue codes actually show up if there's something wrong with them? I've read different things, some saying they will not show, others saying they will. Any clarity on this would be great! :)

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links