Advice Please, Winscreen Stone Chip! Repair Or Replace?

My wife has picked up a stone chip on her Z4. it is just a normal chip with a few crack splinters about the size of a 10p . Autoglass have said because its in the black border surround it cant be repaired and needs a new screen. seems pretty harsh to me. anyone know whether this is correct or are they having my pants down.

mate i wouldnt trust those idiots.my screen had a chip that turned into a crack.they want 570 quid to replace it.....i had it done by a garage by me for 80 quid fitted.

i personally would go to a few indy places mate and get a couple of opinions and quotes

I think that's right though about having to replace the whole screen. I've only ever had the rear window smashed so I'm not 100% sure on stone chips.. But I'm sure you should only be paying your glass excess. And if not then what the hell if a glass excess for?!

Are you guys not fully comp? I thought you just paid your glass excess?

YES, However over the next year or so Insurance companys will ask if you have had a glass claim and it will be taken into consideration(like having a accident), Agree however Auto Glass are money making monkeys, It has been known in the past for them to bill us over £5000 for a 1980`s Porsche 911 front screen, When companys like AVG(recommend) can do the same job for £800.

Shop around!!

thanks guys, yes we are fully comp and £100 excess, but just wondered why it couldnt be repaired coz it was in the black surround? just seems like a straight forward repair to me.

and sorry Christian but i would be mince meat if I ran her new pride and joy on a 500 mile round trip. If we can get a meeting up north we will gladly bring the Z4 and my 5.

Guest Mister Dabsy

The black portion forms part of the screen pre-heat on some models, however, it is perfectly fine to repair the conventional way !! AutoGlass are owned by Aviva me finx? Nasty robbing gits lol

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links