M43 To M44 Swap?

mustang_john

Your currently running on LPG so yes, you would need that redone professionally (its the law)

Its relatively straight forward as its still I4 and your car was built with them But (and there is a massive but).. why would you want to?

Cost wise: If you do it yourself, not very much. If you pay someone to do it, Sell your soul to the devil to finance it maybe?

If you want to do this, Buy a crashed or rotten e36 318 IS as a donor(much easier, and cheaper as you know all the components needed work)

With regards the LPG, Legally the certificate was issue to the vehicle, not the engine so if you do change the engine then it would need to be set up to run increased/decreased required fuel, However there is no legally requirement for it to be re tested, and to be fair you will only be un doing the low pressure rubber hoses not the high pressure lines, so quite straight forward.

Is your current system a single point or multi point? If single point this maybe a good time to change the front end to multi point, it is a HUGE improvement on the single point system.

All in all I do have to say……I wouldn’t bother, the performance gains are not really worth the hassle

The lpg side is not a problem, easy to tap into new inlet manifold and fit the injectors. The lpg ecu can be reprogrammed in under a minute so no worries there either.

Reason I asked is simple, my M43 has 192k on it. I belive the M44 is about 25BHP more. If the M43 eventually lets go. Wondered about swapping for more power. Was concerned about the electrical side more than the mechanical. Did not know if the main ecu would have to be changed and looms altered etc.

As for putting a six pot, hmm, if I were gonna alter things to that level, then the only way to for me would be a 5.0 small block ford. If only I had the money :unsure:

The lpg side is not a problem, easy to tap into new inlet manifold and fit the injectors. The lpg ecu can be reprogrammed in under a minute so no worries there either.

Reason I asked is simple, my M43 has 192k on it. I belive the M44 is about 25BHP more. If the M43 eventually lets go. Wondered about swapping for more power. Was concerned about the electrical side more than the mechanical. Did not know if the main ecu would have to be changed and looms altered etc.

As for putting a six pot, hmm, if I were gonna alter things to that level, then the only way to for me would be a 5.0 small block ford. If only I had the money :unsure:

Love it haha

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links