Bmw 730Ld Se Glow Plugs

StephenTB

Can anyone please confirm when (Time or mileage) glow plugs should be changed or are they changed when they cease to operate?

Does anyone have experience of the ceramic tip of a glow plug disintegrating and damaging cylinders and turbo, please?

Guest Mister Dabsy

Recommended change is 50k, or obviously befor if one or more start to fail...

The fragments from the glow-plug won't affect the Turbo as the Turbo is "Pre induction" or before the burn process, the piston(s) should be fine but the fragments may cause some obstruction to the valves as they close (mainly exhaust valve)...

HTH

BTW Deleted the other in 7series as it applies to all models ;)

Recommended change is 50k, or obviously befor if one or more start to fail...

The fragments from the glow-plug won't affect the Turbo as the Turbo is "Pre induction" or before the burn process, the piston(s) should be fine but the fragments may cause some obstruction to the valves as they close (mainly exhaust valve)...

HTH

BTW Deleted the other in 7series as it applies to all models ;)

Thanks for your response. Is it your personal oppinion or is it stated anywhere in BMW documentation? My local BMW Agent state that there is no time/mileage for change, solely renewal is when the plugs cease to function efficiently, i.e. long cranking in cold weather to start engine. My BMW lost power whilst driving in Germany and waas taken to a main BMW Agent. They renewed the turbo (Blades, etc. damaged by fragments) in order to start the engine. They then discovered that the ceramic tip of a glow plug had disintegrated, damaging cylinders and turbo. The engine had to be replaced. Have you knowledge of anyone suffering similar problems, please?

Guest Mister Dabsy

Thanks for your response. Is it your personal oppinion or is it stated anywhere in BMW documentation? My local BMW Agent state that there is no time/mileage for change, solely renewal is when the plugs cease to function efficiently, i.e. long cranking in cold weather to start engine. My BMW lost power whilst driving in Germany and waas taken to a main BMW Agent. They renewed the turbo (Blades, etc. damaged by fragments) in order to start the engine. They then discovered that the ceramic tip of a glow plug had disintegrated, damaging cylinders and turbo. The engine had to be replaced. Have you knowledge of anyone suffering similar problems, please?

The engine doesn't actually need the Turbo to start it !! You got fleeced mukka :blink:

That is a really serious accusation and will cause me to take legal action against this main BMW Agent. Are you 100% confident that you are right? Can you also confirm as to whether your statement 'change glowplugs at 50k' is a personal opinion or from a BMW Technician's manual? You said that the turbo was pre-induction. I thought that it was 'post-burn', driven by the hot gases from the cylinders. Are you confident in your statement?

Please respond. Thanks.

Guest Mister Dabsy

The Turbo IS driven from the exhaust manifold but the tiny fragments are heavier than the burnt mixture therefore might remain in the cylinder for very slightly longer periods and with the higher density would travel microscopically around the outer surfaces of it's carrier (pipe) !! It is quite feasible that these fragments will pass through the blades without incident, overheating and lack of lubrication are the main causes of Turbo failure...

Thanks for your response but please will you also confirm as to whether your statements (1) 'change glowplugs at 50k' is a personal opinion or from a BMW Technician's manual and (2) the engine doesn't actually need the Turbo to start it. Thanks.

Guest Mister Dabsy

I WILL confirm this as part of a Service interval by BMW for glow plug renewal...

But, they are classed as consumables, just like spark-plugs, filters etc... And therefore do not come under warranty situations - Unless it can be proven that they were fauly when installed (unlikely).

The engine WILL start fine without the Turbo... Lack of revs/power from throttle if failed though...

SUE ME ;)

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links