Various Questions

The front bumper on my compact is a bit smashed at the bottom, will any 3 series bumper fit? Or must it be one from a compact?

I want to lower it a bit and get some alloys (BMW ones, not aftermarket) but I'm unsure of what to lower it by. I want it to have a good stance. I thought about slamming it at the front, then a little at the back. But I think it has to be done just right. Any suggestions with this? I'm working with a tight budget, so coilies are a no no :(

Also, it jumps out of first gear sometimes when pulling away. I've been told its a worn box. Could it be perhaps that the gear linkage is at fault?

Thanks!

Guest Mister Dabsy

Gearbox - If it was the linkage at fault, you would have issues with 3rd 'n 5th also! I think the internal selector forks are worn !! (a guess)

Front Bumper - Generally yes, because the differences in body-shape is mainly the rear... Just compare!

Lowering - Do the front and rear "equally" as you will have to alter headlights and it would look silly !! Personally, I wouldn't go more than 40mm...

HTH

Thanks for your reply. Are selector forks easily renewed? Or should I just wait until it won't select 1st at all? Then do it?

Also. Had a look at the headlamp bulbs, as I want to get some HIDs. Because all I have known is Clios and 19s. What are they? I took the full beam bulb out and it appears to be part of the fixing that the wires plug into. I didn't want to try and pull it apart in case I broke something (knowing me I would). I looked around online and they are apparently H1 bulbs. Can anyone verify before I order the HIDs?

I want to remove the front grills too and give them a new splash of paint. Do you remove the plastic cover between the bumper and rad, and then they clip out from behind? I only had a quick look, the screws look pretty rusty holding that panel on!

The bumpers should fit,as Dabsy says.As for the height,make sure you do 40mm at the rear and 60mm at the front cos beemers sit higher at the front,I found this out the hard way.(you can see in my sig).You can also pick up a set of coilovers nowadays for between 150-200 quid,which is cheap as chips really,Im saving for mine now :)

Guest Mister Dabsy

The bumpers should fit,as Dabsy says.As for the height,make sure you do 40mm at the rear and 60mm at the front cos beemers sit higher at the front,I found this out the hard way.(you can see in my sig).You can also pick up a set of coilovers nowadays for between 150-200 quid,which is cheap as chips really,Im saving for mine now :)

Totally in agreement with you, Dave... Be careful not to fall into the fact that the front arches are larger and tyre/wheel choices will have to be made for the 60mm drop ! (just adding matey)

Guest Mister Dabsy

17's would be fine... Just keep the "Overall" diameters equal (top of tyre to bottom) !! ;)

Offset on new wheels need to match also...

Guest Mister Dabsy

You are asking for trouble there mukka, as your wheel bearings will take more stress and ball joints would suffer early retirement ;)...

TBH They will look the Beez, but it will eventually mean more maintenence... Up to you !!

I don't want to put you off the idea... Its just that you'll experience a little "mickey-Mouse" steering and maybe a BMW that looks like a FORD !!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links