I'm Pulling Tomorrow! =] Help?

Guest DazH

Guest DazH

Heya guys! +gals....

I've stripped her down to the point where I can just pull the cylinder head right off! First time =] tomorrow I'm going to be unbolting and pulling. This is literally the first time under the bonnet on this scale and don't want to screw it up. Can anyone help me prepare for the pull and advise me what to do to not do any more damage. I am yet to take the belts off and understand the engine must be TDC before I pull.

- How do I get the belts to freely spin?

- What sort of markings should I be making?

- How do I get her to TDC and KEEP it there?

- My cams look healthy so I don't want to touch them (apart from adjusting the clearance when I'm done). MUST I tamper with them when doing a Head Gasket change? or can I just leave them be?... (Obviously assuming that the head isn't warped/cracked)

- I had the standard Hex bolts on my head (REASON I am in this position, 2 broke) and I'm going to install TORX ones tomorrow. What socket do I need to use to install them? They appear to have funky heads...

- I heard the gasket sticks to the block/head like shat on a blanket. What's the best thing to use to remove it?

If anyone can answer my queries or give me any advice, I'll give them an E-Cookie!! =D

wish me luck,

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

Hi Daz...

There will be timing marks on the Cam pulley and the Crank pulley, you can align these before the rebuild as you might be turning the cam(s) while its off !!

You'll need a E14 "Torx" socket for the new head bolts...

As for removing the remains of the old gasket, I tend to scrape it using a stanley-blade(lightly) then a copper brush, finally tidy it up with some fine emery !!

Now, where's my Cookie :o

Guest DazH

HaHa Dabz you legend! helped alot, cheers. Here is your E-Cookie! *....gives.. it...*.. I guess :S Come to Santa-Pod and i'll buy ya a beer!!!!!

Btw, there is a long thick vertical axle looking thing that is connecting to the bottom of the intake manifold. What is this? and will it effect me taking the intake manifold off? Can I damage/hurt it?

- The oil sensor thingy is connected to the loom by a thin wire. I cant take the inlet manifold off with this still in place as it goes straight through the centre of the intake manifold. I would jsut release the sensor but the sensor takes a larger spanner than what I have. I have up to a 19mm spanner. What size would I need to release this? Also there is VERY little room to get a spanner round that thing :S Can't I just cut the wire and join it later with a bit of insulation tape?

** Status update **

I have just got rid of more hoses blocking the nuts holding the M20 intake manifold on and released all the nuts. I've marked and catalogued all the hoses and nuts. Just washed my hands, put some clean cloths on to go over to halfords (across the road from my house) to get bigger spanners and sockets! :D

REALLY... REALLY... enjoying myself (on the car.. that is..) =D You guys have NO IDEA how much I have learned from joining this forum and my engine.. blowing up...

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

If the wire is permanently connected to the sensor then either chase it back or CUT it and replace with bullet connectors !! OR...

Get an adjustable wrench :huh:

Post a pic of that "Vertical axle looking thing" B)

Guest DazH

I worked it out! :P It does indeed appear to be a breather pipe that is pushed towards the intake by a spring. Like a po-go stick, you pull it down to compress the spring then the pipe can be removed.

** Status Update **

Calling it a day now as I can't take the fan off to release the belts as I don't have a spanner big enough. Does anyone know the size of spanner I need to remove it? Largest I have is a 25mm and Thats too small. I've finally got the intake manifold off and stated removing the exhaust manifold. I'll start removing the belts and head on Monday when I'm back from Santa Pod! ^^

Thanks for all ya helpz! =]

Daz

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links